Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed so had to switch provider

Bren88
Dabbler

Slow speed so had to switch provider

Hello,

I switched broadband provider at the weekend as my Plusnet speed is now only guaranteed at 19mbps and according to my account the estimated download range is just 23 - 25Mbps. Even an offered upgrade to fibre extra is the same.

Thought I would ask if these speeds could be improved any before the switch is complete as I was considering staying with Plusnet?

18 months ago when the contract started I was getting 36mbps but it soon dropped below that and currently I'm getting 28mbps. The guaranteed speed a few months ago was around 30mpbs then it dropped to 28mpbs. For the most part the speed seems to have been capped at the minimum guaranteed but I really do not want it dropping to 19mbps. Also, I used to able to get speeds of 40+ when previously with BT.

Brendan

Here's a screenshot of the advanced BT speed test.

broadband_test.jpg

11 REPLIES 11
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: Slow speed so had to switch provider

@Bren88 

First thing to do is to check what speeds are available generally for your phone line. Out you phone number in the following and see what you get. Pos a screen image if you can, remembering to hide your phone number.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Bren88 

The speedtest results show that you are getting 27Mbps. The minimum guaranteed speed of 19 Mbps is totally irrelevant unless you are getting less than this. 
Unless you are moving to FTTP or a cable company your new provider will use the same broadband connection so you are unlikely to see any improvement.

I can’t see much effort being put into either helping you to either get an improvement or improve your understanding of the limitations of your line if you are moving anyway.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Bren88
Dabbler

Thanks for the response.

Here's a screenshot of the broadband checker.

broadband_test2.jpg

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Bren88 

I'm not certain what's happening with your line. From the checker you should be getting at least 40 down, with a minimum of 32 (if I understand these things).

What perhaps is on more importance is you can get FTTP - it shows as WBC FTTP in the left hand column with Available shown to the right. This means you can get super duper speeds if you so wish.

Brian

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Bren88  If I were you I would forget about your FTTC connection and switch to full fibre FTTP which is available to you. Speeds up to 1000Mbps available, you can get 80/20 speeds for a similar price to FTTC. Plusnet don't offer FTTP yet but they will let you move to BT or EE with no penalty.

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@Bren88 

@Bren88 

This means you can get super duper speeds if you so wish.

Brian

But only at a super duper price!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @Bren88

I'm sorry to see you're having speed issues and you're moving to another provider. I've tested your line today and the tests are showing a line issue has been detected as well as what's known as a bridge tap which is generally a wiring issue.

This would likely be the underlining cause of your speed being restricted by automated software at the cabinet (the green box in the road). To rule out internal wiring, it may be worth plugging your router into the test socket explained Here.

If you can post back once you've done so, we can retest your line and if the bridge tap is no longer showing, we can reset your line to remove the speed restriction, or if the issues are showing then I'd recommend we arrange an Openreach engineer visit to investigate further. If you don't want to carry out the checks, we'll be happy to skip straight to booking the engineer. 

To arrange an engineer visit, I'd raise a fault at faults.plus.net. Let us know how it goes.

I've attached below our test results:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID [redacted]

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 30.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 9.5 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 703.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-30M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-11-20T10:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 28.1 Mbps 29.9 Mbps 29.7 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 8.7 Mbps 9.4 Mbps 9.1 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 895.7 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2021-12-03T09:38:46Z 2021-12-03T09:53:46Z
Ingress Code Violation 5 1
Egress Code Violation 0 45
Errored Seconds 0 14
Severely Errored Seconds 0 7
Unavailable Seconds 0 0
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bren88
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply Gandalf. I've now connected the router to the test socket.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to me @Bren88

From what I can see nothing's changed apart from your upload speed by 0.5mbps, so I'd like to arrange an Openreach engineer visit to investigate further. Can you reply to the support ticket I've logged on your account Here with when you'll be available? If you can post back once you've responded, I'll make sure we book the engineer as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bren88
Dabbler

@Gandalf I've replied to the ticket now.

Thanks.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks @Bren88, I have picked that up for you and updated it with the appointment details for you. Please just get back to us if you have any further queries in the meantime.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team