Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed, drop outs on Win10, everything else stays online

andyharrold
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Slow speed, drop outs on Win10, everything else stays online

Hi there,

When I first went over to Fibre I was given a replacement Hub1 as the first suffered drop outs. The new one ,although better, has not solved the drop out problem.

When the first problem occurred it was noted from your end that my line was showing high resistance.

I am getting 21meg on wireless, 28meg on direct. A minimum of 34 was promised.

Someone on the forum suggested that there must be a fault, which over time would only get worse.

The most annoying problem is that of drop outs on my Win10 laptop. They are so random, and once down, I have no idea as to when I will regain the internet on the device. Troubleshooting usually does a reset of the wireless adapter. I changed the channel from 6 to 11 (but all 13 channels appear to have the same signal strength). I am reluctant to fiddle as other devices,such as  my wifes Vista laptop , our 2 mobiles and the youview box are unaffected.

Please can you check the rust on the wires!!

Many thanks,  andy

12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Slow speed, drop outs on Win10, everything else stays online

If the problem is only with wireless on your laptop then it will be nothing to do with Plusnet's side. Have you tried splitting the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels and trying each in turn to find the best? https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

andyharrold
Dabbler

I have just done exactly as you recommended.

I have unsynched the 2.4 and 5 Ghz. in the 5Ghz section.

I am now down to 11Meg wireless!

you say it is not a Plusnet problem but I am slower than expected on ALL devices.

andyharrold
Dabbler

I can see that all of my devices are currently connected to 2.4Ghz

None to 5ghz.

How do I force my laptop on to 5GHz?

Baldrick1

Many laptops are not capable of receiving 5GHz. If the option isn't there when you look at available networks then you can't use it.

I looks to me that you have two problems that need addressing individually. If your speed is down with a wired Ethernet connection then that could be an external fault. This should be addressed first.

First take the front off your master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the Test socket. Start with a quiet line test by plugging a phone, preferably wired type, in to the socket, no filter, and dial 17070. Select Option 2. If there's any noise on the line then report a Phone, not Broadband fault.

Next, assuming that you have a quiet line, plug a filter in to the Test socket and connect your router Using an Ethernet cable do a speed test using the BT speed tester http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/. This has been shown to work best if you use either Microsoft's Edge or Internet Explorer browser. If it's slow then go on to the further diagnostics page. This will leave a copy of the results on a server which Plusnet can access. Once you have done this then report a broadband fault to Plusnet.

Obviously if the BTw speed test turns out to be above the guaranteed minimum then the problem is within your property.

Let us know how you get on.

Moderator and Customer

andyharrold
Dabbler

Ok, I have found it!

I didn't realise it would show as a separate available network.

Laptop is now on 5Ghz and speed is 21 Meg.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully I have stopped the drop outs.

I have just seen your edit.  I will investigate further and report back.  Many thanks.

Baldrick1

@andyharrold wrote:

Ok, I have found it!

I didn't realise it would show as a separate available network.

Note that your other devices may need to be swapped to use 5 GHz if that's the better signal.

Moderator and Customer

andyharrold
Dabbler

BTw says 39.3 meg. That is test socket and ethernet.

Back on front socket  and ethernet only giving 17 Meg.

andy

andyharrold
Dabbler

Unplugged the ethernet cable and now no WiFi. It says it is connected, secured. Windows network diagnostic said it reset the WiFi adapter.
Still nothing.

Back to square one!
andyharrold
Dabbler

After 5 mins it decided it was not connected to the internet and then reset itself.

speed test  , not BTw,  wifi    21 meg.

Baldrick1

@andyharrold wrote:

BTw says 39.3 meg. That is test socket and ethernet.

Back on front socket  and ethernet only giving 17 Meg.

So you either have a faulty faceplate or extension cable. Have you got a filtered faceplate? If so have you connected the extension cable correctly? It should ideally be connected to the phone terminals and the router should be left connected to the Master socket ADSL port. I would start by removing any extension cable and check out the faceplate. Replacements are available online quite cheaply. If that's OK you just have to work back removing sections in turn. 

One final thought, if you've got any extras such as stand alone answering machines of call blockers on your telephone line try removing them.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@andyharrold wrote:
Unplugged the ethernet cable and now no WiFi. It says it is connected, secured. Windows network diagnostic said it reset the WiFi adapter.

My money would be on it recovering if you rebooter the computer.

Moderator and Customer

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @andyharrold,

Based on what you're saying, the best advice we could give you to resolve this issue has been perfectly summed up by @Baldrick1. Try replacing the faceplate and see how the connection goes and if you have any further queries or issues that you would like to raise with us then please don't hesitate to get back in touch and we'll be happy to investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team