cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed and frequent dropped connection.

Jawswing

Slow speed and frequent dropped connection.

Okay, so I've bought a house, had the place completely renovated, and had ethernet run through the walls and sockets in each room.

I ordered fibre way before I moved in (my cabinet had been at capacity for months, and when it finally became available I figured I'd order it even though I wasn't planning to move in anytime soon).

When I got connected up, I was getting 35 down and 2 up.

Moved in recently, checked every ethernet run I'd run, and all were fine, and stable. Download speed seems to have dropped though, went to 30Mbps, but the upload was still at 2.

I got in touch with Plusnet about this, the guy I spoke to on online chat told me he'd done something and to reset the modem after two hours (I did, it didn't do anything, I was somewhat sceptical he'd done anything at all).

The internet has been fine up until either Saturday or possibly Sunday. Not too sure which. It'll disconnect every 10-15 minutes. Speedtests will will vary anywhere from 5-12Mbps. Ping will go from 30-500 in speedtests. Not stable at all.

Been putting off troubleshooting a little, because the modem is upstairs, with an ethernet run to my 'network closet', with another run to downstairs to a socket, which another cable going to the router, then another cable going upstairs to the closet, to my switch, all somewhat complicated.

Brought my router upstairs straight to the modem, did some testing. Couldn't really pinpoint an issue, but it seemed more stable. Brought it back downstairs, and now all seems good. Seems to be stable so far, had no disconnections (although I'll update if I do). However, I'm back down to about 18Mbps down and 2 up.

Is there anything Plusnet could do about this speed at all?

Also, regarding upload speed. Prior to moving in this house I lived literally next door but one. Exact same cabinet, pole on street, but the new house will be like an extra 20m of cable or something. The old house had 38 down, and 5 up. I'd have thought I'd still get something somewhat similar, especially regarding upload speed?

5 REPLIES 5
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Slow speed and frequent dropped connection.

Hi @Jawswing

I tested your line and found a potential line fault.

I've raised this with our suppliers to investigate within the next 1-3 working days. 

I have placed an open ticket on your account with my findings, if you would care to view it click here - you can also use this link to view updates on the fault and reply to the ticket if you wish. 

Sorry that this has happened, but we will get it sorted out for you as soon as possible.

All the best, 

Alisdair 

Jawswing

I'm still having issues with my line. 

When I first posted this, and engineer came out. He told me there was 1000's of errors coming through the master socket. He couldn't find an issue, but he rewired the master socket (I think), and it came back with only a few errors, which is apparently within BT's range. Fair enough...

Line was good for a couple of days, and then the issues came back again after about two days. Disconnects, slow, speed would range from 8-15Mbps. Using speedtest.net, the upload test would either fail, or at best it'd take about 7 seconds to start and be about 0.1Mbps to 0.2Mbps.

Ended up getting another engineer out, similar story, not entirely sure what he did, came to the house, don't think he did anything with the socket. He ended up leaving and rang me 30-60 minutes later to say he'd put some new wire in and I could connect everything back up again.

Again, was good for a few days, was getting 33Mbps down, 2Mbps up. Two days later, same thing happened, it disconnected, was doing it 3/4 times a day. Speed dropped, again anything from 8-15Mbps. Upload next to nothing.

I can't play online games at all, the ping spikes constantly. I've got 'smart lights'/Philips Hue lights, which as things stand are a nuisance to control, the Amazon Echo doesn't always function because it's failing to connect (I'm assuming that's to do with the upload, but I've no idea). My phone will connect to WiFi, but switch to mobile data because it isn't able to send/receive anything over WiFi, so I can't control the lights with the phone.

I don't use the landline. Don't have one plugged in, and I've never tried it. I could try and borrow/buy a cheap landline to test the line with to see if there is any noise or anything on it, if that would help?

I'm not really too happy either paying for a service, that for the two(ish) months that I've lived here hasn't worked right, has given me so many issues, and the two engineer visits haven't resolved the problem. 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

The connection appears to be stable now as shown below

Your upload speed however is only 0.2 which is extremely low

Is the router still connected to the master socket?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Jawswing

I am using an Openreach modem and my own router. But yeah, it's connected to the master socket.
The upload is terrible. My download is too. I've been downloading a game all night. Currently downloading at 1.1/1.2MB/s. So about 8.8Mbps. Which is maxing out my connection as I was unable to post this message until I disconnected from WiFi and went to mobile data...
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for confirming.

I'll get your fault updated shortly

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team