cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed again

borosilverback
Hooked

Slow speed again

My “super fast fibre” has again slowed to unacceptable speeds.....13 mbps,[-Censored-]???

The connection drops randomly and the speed is never constant,pretty [-Censored-] poor if you ask me.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Slow speed again

Are you just sounding off about poor wifi speed again or do you have another problem?

An expletive free explanation of the problem and what tests you have done might help towards obtaining constructive advice.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

borosilverback
Hooked

No,no other problem,just “sounding off again” as you put it,what tests do you suggest (other than a speed test) that I do?

Baldrick1

First of all you need to determine whether the fault is a problem with your your fibre connection or just a wireless problem. So what are you getting with an Ethernet cable between your router and computer? If that is showing issues then do the following:

1.Take the front off the BT master socket to expose the Test Socket.

2. Do a quiet line test with a wired telephone. Plug this in to the test socket (no microfilter), dial 17070 and select option 2. If there's any noise on the line then report a phone fault to however supplies your phone.

3. Plug a microfilter into the test socket and connect the broadband lead to your router. Check the performance. If it is OK there is a problem being caused by your internal wiring or the faceplate. If there is still a problem then you need to report the fault to Plusnet. They will ask you to complete the BT official speed test here: http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/. There are reports that this is screwed up and some claim it's OK with Internet Explorer. Either way, have a go and make sure that you go through the second stage of further tests as these are recorded and are accessible to Plusnet.

If these tests do not detect a problem then it's a wireless problem. At this stage Plusnet will tell you that this is outside of their responsibility but again point you here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

What you have not said is whether you have a Plusnet Hub One or the older set up of an Openreach modem plus a Hub Zero router. If it is the latter then your best bet is to scrap this set up and go onto Ebay and buy a BT Smarthub 6 for about £30. This is a single box solution with far superior Wifi performance. There are instructions on how to set it up on your Plusnet account on the router board in this forum.

If you have a Hub One then the first thing to do is separate the 2.4 and 5GHz bands, see here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Making-5-GHz-have-separate-SSID-with-the-Hub-One/m-p/1349587.... Note, this also applies if you have a BT Smarthub 6. You can then try both the 2.4 and 5 GHz band in turn and see which is best.

A useful tool is a wifi 'sniffer' app I use 'Wifi Analyser' on an Android phone. With this you can monitor your neighbours transmissions and check whether they are using the same channel as you. If there are other others using the same channel as you then you can manually change this to the quietest by logging into the router advanced settings and manually setting the wireless channel. Again if your devices will support it then you may be better using the 5GHz band but you need to experiment with that.

Let us know how you get on.

Moderator and Customer

borosilverback
Hooked

Ok....

Tested with wired connection,marginally better.....but not much,I don’t have a working home phone to do the test you mention,my router is the latest Plusnet Hub thingy,it’s only been in 6 months,my home phone is with Plusnet also.
Baldrick1

So you now seem to be reporting that the fault is with the broadband connection to the router, not a wireless issue. If so this is different to your last problem.

Did you do the wired connection test using the test socket? If not then we're no further forward. If yes then can you not borrow a wired phone? Alternatively you can buy one for very little money (http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3924358). It's a very useful fault finding tool to keep in a cupboard and could be used in an emergency.

What speeds do you get with a wired connection?

Moderator and Customer

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your download speeds.

Our tests aren't showing any issues with the line.

If you're still having issues please follow the steps below

So we can investigate further please connect your computer/laptop to the router with a ethernet cable and run the BT Speedtester service here

You must ensure that you have no other programs running at the same time such as streaming, general browsing and the most common one is antivirus programs downloading updates in the background. This must be done on a wired connection and not wireless.

Once the initial result is completed please click Further Diagnostics. Please type in your phone number and click run diagnostic test. This will run a test and send the results to the server for investigation.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
borosilverback
Hooked

Ok,so did the bt wholesale thing,did a factory reset on the router,thing was ok
For a few mins then stated cutting out while streaming radio,speeds up one min and down the next.....
borosilverback
Hooked

For information

Wired test 21-24
Wireless 10-13 mbps

Have logged onto router and reset to factory settings.
Have ran the bt wholesale test and completed the further diagnostics
Also tried the quiet line test with a phone but I can’t even get a dialling tone,so couldn’t get anywhere with that.

Connection is very erratic and can be ok one min then just goes off.

I had Vodafone B.B. before this and thought they were bad.....but this at the moment is the most useless connection I’ve had to date.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

If you don't have dial tone then your broadband service will be poor. You need to get the line first before your broadband service improves. Have you reported the fault?