cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed after sign up

stranexuk

Slow speed after sign up

I recently signed up to a new account and was given a guaranteed minimum speed of 17Mbps

After installing the router the best I saw was just over 13Mbps. An engineer visited and tested the line fine at 18MBps. he advised that the only possible causes in the speed difference between what he and I were seeing was a/ the router or b/ the speed profile being set incorrectly

A new router was delivered yesterday and installed including all the new wires and cables but I'm still seeing the same speed of 13Mbps. After raising a ticket, I'm being told this is the best speed I can expect? This is contrary to what the BT engineer was telling me? What are these "profiles" and where are they set? In exchange or remotely by PlusNet? How can I check them? I had a test report sent back from PlusNet where there was something about my profile being 13000.....am I being overly suspicious?

Presumably, IF this is the best speed I can expect to see then it will be same no matter which supplier I use?

5 REPLIES 5
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Slow speed after sign up

How are you testing speeds, wifi or wired, and what with?

The speeds quoted by Openreach engineers and all ISP's are the sync speeds of the router or modem. Speed tests carried out by customers will always be lower than the sync speeds, but to get them as close as you can, you need to ensure they are done with nothing else connected to the router, and no background activities going on in the background of a suitable device. 

stranexuk

I'm testing speeds using a wired Ethernet with nothing else connected to the router. using speedtest.net and the BT Wholesale tester and getting almost exact same results.

In my (limited) experience elsewhere, the differences in speeds using wired or wifi and whether you other devices connected are small and not anywhere near the 30/40% drop I'm seeing between the engineers tests and mine?

stranexuk

Too add a bit further detail, the engineer notes confirm what he told me "In sync with JDSU 18Mbps"

But it appears everytime PlusNet test my line they see 13-14Mbps. Can anyone answer my question about profiles?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

If you use the Bt Wholesale Speed Test, you should be able to see the profile you are on or at least part of it.

Post the results on here and people should be able to help a bit more.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0003
Description No problem found, OAM test is not currently supported on this line.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 13.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 1.8 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 1317.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-2M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2017-07-24T09:00:00

The profile on your downstream isn't banding the line at all.

Are you still connected up through the same socket that the engineer was testing from? With no extensions etc.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet