cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed after Plusnet Hub One router installed???

MrBruno
Hooked

Slow speed after Plusnet Hub One router installed???

I new customer on  Plusnet and I got the  66mb fibre broadband contract  and getting the minimal guaranteed promised was 51mb , all fine by me  but the actual speed I'm getting  on my line is 5 to 25mb down and 9 to 12mb up. I set up my old BT Home Hub 5 router with my plusnet account and incredible the first test I did I reach 37.27mb down and 13.86mb up, is not great but better than this new Plusnet Hub One router what is make me think if this router is faulty or some more settings need to do? Thanks for any advice.

14 REPLIES 14
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Slow speed after Plusnet Hub One router installed???

The Plusnet Hub One is really a Home Hub 5A with tweeked firmware so if your old home hub is a 5B then it is a later design than Plusnet's offering. Many of us use a BT Smarthub 6.

From the shocking speeds you are getting, is this over a wireless connection? If so what do you get if you connect to the router over an Ethernet connection?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MrBruno
Hooked

Yes the speed is over the wireless connections , as by Ethernet connections I just did a test and is  35,95 down and 12,29 up.

Wireless is not great with this router from plusnet, just doing a test now and is 1.05 down and 9.98 up, shocking speeds.

Well now I'm searching to buy as you said before a  BT Smarthub 6 or a  BT Smarthub 2 router because this router I got or is faulty or right damn slow.

Baldrick1

I should have welcomed you to this forum earlier, so welcome!

It might be worth splitting the wireless bans see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840. Try each band in turn.

I have got my Smarthub from Ebay. If you can find a business version then these give you extra setting options. For example you can select your choice of DNS server rather than having to use the Plusnet ones. Setting instructions are here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer

MrBruno
Hooked

Hi Baldrick1,

Thanks for the regards and welcome on the forum first .

Well second thing is i tried your tips splitting the wireless bans but was not luck at all.  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Just i will connecting later my BT smarthub 5 type b later that is working better than this plusnet Hub One, very dissapointed and hope plusnet  increasing my Unlimited Fibre Extra to the 66mb or at least to the minimum guaranteed of 51mb.

Thanks again and keep informed if speed going better. 

Baldrick1

What speed should you be getting? What speed do you get if you put your phone number in here https://my.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

If it's really this bad then there's little point paying for the fibre extra product.

Moderator and Customer

MrBruno
Hooked

Well here is the result of the test speed on my line , max i can get as my router said as well is 38,35 down and 13,71 up. Plusnet promised will be improve the line speed with time.........but when? hope not a month before my 18 month contract is finish 😉 .

speed.JPG

Baldrick1

OK, well your speed is so low you can forget about the contract, if it can't be improved then Plusnet will release you penalty free. 

The first thing you need to do is check whether the slow speed is due to something that falls under your responsibility. First take the front off your BT master socket. The latest type clip on but you need to take two screws out the front first for most. Pull the front off and in behind you will find the test socket. Plug your filter in here and connect your router via the dsl cable. Using an Ethernet cable connect a computer to the router and run the BTw speedtester http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ when this has finished if the speed is low then carry on to the further diagnostics page. These results are saved on BTw database where they can be viewed by Plusnet. Some web browsers do not work well with the BT speedtester so use Edge or Internet Explorer if you can. Hopefully a Plusnet staffer will come along and pick up these results.

Plusnet will tell you to wait 10 days for your new connection to settle but I very much doubt that it will make a significant difference.

Moderator and Customer

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @MrBruno,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your speeds. I've tested your line today and I can see that the sync speed is running lower than we'd expect.  As @Baldrick1 has suggested, my first recommendation would be to set the router up within the test socket in the property and see if this makes any difference. For reference, we have a guide on how to set the router up within the test socket here.

Please let us know once you've set the router up within the test socket and we'll be happy to pick this back up for further review as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
MrBruno
Hooked

Ok now I connected the cable direct to the master socket now and Ethernet cable direct to the computer, i followed the instruction as it said and run the Bt wholesale performance test,  and these are the result : speed 2.JPG

Now I can start think a conclusion of the service from Plusnet is not the best as I'm slower as the minimum guaranteed they promised, and the router is not good as the speed of wireless are very slow , even i'm a meter from the plusnet hub one. Thanks for the advice,trying to improve the speed 😉

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @MrBruno,

Thank you for connecting your router to the master socket and for running a speed test on a wired connection, I'm sorry to see that this hasn't resolved the issue.

I've tested your line and the test hasn't picked up the cause of the problem from here but I can see the line is currently syncing at 38.2mbps, which is significantly below the minimum guaranteed speed of 51mbps.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 38.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 13.4 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 420.2
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-06-29T18:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 38.3 Mbps 39.1 Mbps 38.4 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 13.2 Mbps 14.5 Mbps 13.5 Mbps
Up Time 652.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 898.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 2.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-07-12T16:35:00Z 2019-07-12T16:50:00Z
Ingress Code Violation 3 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 5 99

The test isn't picking up the cause of the problem from here so we'll need to do some further checks to try and get to the bottom of this for you. If you've not done so already, please can you run through our troubleshooting guides here and let us know how you get on. If the troubleshooting checks don't resolve the problem, please report it here and let us know when you've completed it.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
MrBruno
Hooked

Update 18/07/19

Alison Bowley - CSC Analyst
2:07pm, Thursday 18 Jul 2019

Dear Mr XXXXXXX,

Thank you for getting back to us.

An appointment has now been made for an engineer to attend on 22/07/19 between 8AM and 1PM. We will retest the connection and aim to be in touch within 72 hours of the appointment.

If the engineer finds the problem is with your internal wiring, your equipment, the condition of your property or the Openreach network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like building or garden works or if no fault is found, you will receive a charge of £65 to cover the cost of the engineer.

This charge will also apply if you miss the appointment or you cancel without giving us 2 working days' notice. This charge will apply at all times when we're working on the fault and you'll need to accept this statement again if the issue is closed and then re-opened.

Apologies again for the ongoing inconvenience caused. 

Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://portal.plus.net/wizard or by phone on 0800 432 0200 if we can be of further assistance.

Kind regards,

Alison Bowley

My Replay to this email(just 10 min ago):

Hi Alison,

Thank you for your response

Just a few points that I need to mention before you expect me to pay £65 to cover the cost of an engineer,

1. We have been with you for 22 days now and every day have been struggling to reach your guaranteed speed of 51mb?

2. We were with BT broadband for the last 3 years and have never struggled with the speed having always achieved an average of 45mb

3. I'm a little bit confused as to why you would be sending out an engineer to test the line when it has been perfect before we signed up with yourselves?

4. If the engineer finds the problem is with your internal wiring(nothing has changed since BT), your equipment (your plusnet router maybe the problem?), the condition of your property(nothing has changed since BT) or the Openreach network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like building or garden works(nothing has changed since BT) or if no fault is found, you will receive a charge of £65 to cover the cost of the engineer.

5. If no fault is found it's because there is NOT a fault to be found as it has been perfect for the last 5 years since living here!!!!

6. You have 2 options either you send out the engineer with no cost to us or we cancel .

PS: I'm giving you 2 working days notice for cancel the engineer if needed.

Regards, Bruno XXXXXXX

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @MrBruno,

I'm sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the possibility of a charge for the engineer visit. This was mentioned on the previous advisor's ticket where they asked for your availability for an engineer visit.

Our tests from here haven't picked up the cause and location of the fault, so we are unable to raise this to our suppliers for an external repair and an engineer visit to your property is the only way that we can progress the fault investigation for you. The engineer will carry out further tests on your connection from your master socket. As you've carried out the troubleshooting checks to rule out any internal wiring/equipment issues, it's more than likely that the fault is something that lies external to your property but that isn't being picked up on our tests.

The same engineer charging statement is sent to all customers that require an engineer visit and there are a few things that I would like to reassure you about. Your router is unlikely to be the cause of the problem as it's very new but we wouldn't charge you for the visit if the engineer determined that the router was the cause of the problem and we wouldn't charge you for a replacement router.

As your line's sync speed is below the estimates, there's definitely an issue despite it not being picked up by the tests from here. As this is the case, we wouldn't charge you for the visit in the unlikely event that the engineer was unable to determine the cause of the problem and marked the job as "no fault found."

The main risk of a charge in this case is if you were to miss the appointment or to cancel it with less than 48 hours notice, so please make sure that somebody over the age of 18 is at the property for the duration of the appointment slot.

Would you be happy to go ahead with the engineer visit on this basis or do you have any further queries regarding this?

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
MrBruno
Hooked

Hi Emily

We are trying to book an engineer to continue the fault find as we have now found out that we lose our right to cancel without charges if we fail to let an engineer carry out the checks

We didn't know this so have no other option other than to go ahead with the engineers visit

I have given them dates earlier today but they have stopped responding which is a little bit annoying to say the least

Monday 22nd July AM visit as previously booked

Tuesday 23rd PM visit or

Wednesday PM visit

Hopefully we can get this engineer booked for early next week and get this problem resolved

Thanks again

Mr Pisetta

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, it looks like someone is dealing with booking that right now for you so you should see an update on the ticket soon. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team