cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow ... slower ... slower

Digeeboy
Hooked

Slow ... slower ... slower

Can't make contact through the helpdesk telephone number so no option but to post a message on here...

Fibre speeds have dropped over the last month from 51Mb/s to around 37Mb/s today.  Something reset around a week ago and the speed went back up to 51Mb/s but then dropped back to 38Mb/s.  

Please advise what you can do to rectify this as I would prefer to stay with you that move to an alternative provider

1 REPLY 1
bobmaclean
Hooked

Re: Slow ... slower ... slower

I noticed similar speed drops.  We do have a problem locally anyway because we're a long way from the nearest cabinet.  Even so, the BT broadband availability checker says I should get between  22Mbs and 36Mbs.  The TalkTalk website offers between 20 and 32. My speed over numerous tests was only about 16.5 on average, but sometimes lower.  I used to get about 23, which isn't great but is more acceptable. My router is a Sagem Plusnet Hub One.  Speed on wifi is the same as on ethernet and switching off my TP-Link mains extender makes no difference.  Using the Windows 10 wifi analyser there seems to be no channel overlap.   I carried out a survey on our local residents' Facebook page. Three other PlusNet broadband customers responded. Two of the others have speeds around the same as mine, the third actually achieves about 26.  Five BT customers with speeds between 20 and 33.  Two TalkTalk wiith speeds over 30.  Four respondents with speeds between 20 and 33 didn't say which ISP.  No way of contacting PlusNet because they say they can't answer my call and no email address or online contact form.  As advised by PlusNet Support I used the BT Wholesale speed checker which confirms my previous readings on ThinkBroadband, although some on the BT site were as low as 5!  The advanced Test is "currently busy" but that seems to be a permanent situation.  So, on average PlusNet is the slowest ISP in our area.  That can't be an OpenReach problem. I've been on Plusnet fibre since it was introduced round here in 2011 but if this situation doesn't improve I'll be looking to change ISP when my contract is up.