cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow response from websites

timmcat
Dabbler

Slow response from websites

We have noticed in the last few weeks that sites are responding very slowly - pages sometimes briefly timing out prior to finally loading. Otherwise speed and latency are fine. I suspected a DNS issue and would have tried OpenDNS but there seems to be no way of changing the DNS settings on the hub.

Anyone else seeing anything similar? 

11 REPLIES 11
melka61
Dabbler

Re: Slow response from websites

They will tell you congestion etc....its not that, its ISP throttling your speeds down. When goes slow, fire up youtube, select 4k it will play fine. 

They will tell you congestion etc. Its not, monitor situation its like few minutes before game go on and couple after matches are finished. Usually goes back to normal after 10pm. 

On Saturday when football goes on, from 2pm you will be throttled down no matter what you do, only youtube will be able to max you connection.

ISPs (broadband providers) do that  to fight against [-Censored-] kodi free streams and sky wants to launch it own iptv. 

Put all together and you will find out answer as soon as live football  (premier league) goes on. Entire internet is throttled down. in my case from 74mb to 2-3mbp. If you are on new contract there is something called min guaranteed speed. COMPLAIN/COMPLAIN

and when live premier league finish, all goes back to normal (top speeds)

melka61
Dabbler

every single time, dont let anyone fool you.  Take a look when premier league is live on sky. Do speed test 30 min before or 40. it will work perfect.

When live game goes on, make another speed test, the speed will be throttled, measure again after game finished off (allow 30min) it will go back to normal. Apart from Saturday, usually from 2pm to 10pm  the connection will be throttled.

When you complain, they will tell you congestion, exchange upgrade.  Its not.. just do what i said and you will be surprised how illegally broadband providers throttling internet down. 
A lot of people are on old contracts without minimum guaranteed speed.  You can do much in that case but if you are on new contract you can keep complaining and seek REFUND for every time the broadband provider slow you down.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@melka61 wrote:

They will tell you congestion etc....its not that, its ISP throttling your speeds down. When goes slow, fire up youtube, select 4k it will play fine.

Evidence to support this statement please. Undecided 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

melka61
Dabbler

its simple. 

Wait for premier league match on.  Browsing, downloading etc will be slowed down to min the more aggressive you will become at that time, with trying to download somethine... the more throttled you will be. 

make speed test, 2-3x times and you will see with every test  you be will be more throttled.  Allow to go as low as 3mb

Run test again or try to download something, it will stuck at that speed not matter what and while this happen. Open youtube, select video with highest RESOLUTION.... 

Install net monitor on laptop to make sure you get picture of what will happen. 

Youtube if wants to will not be throotled and will play 30mb bitrate video FINE!

While other traffic will be tapped at 3mb. Amazon prime video will be sticking unless play lower resolution, netflix will be running on lowest resolution.

No way to watch HD or 4K on netflix.  While at the same time youtube will be able to use in my case up to max speed  74mb.

its THROTTLING.  Its just selected providers which works.  Like youtube etc. Most of internet browsing will be slowed down.

Same happen to BT/ Plusnet/ EE/ Sky/VM /Talk Talk FIBRE. 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@melka61 why is my speed not being throttled in the manner you claim?

1802 jdas.png

melka61
Dabbler

What did you dont understand ?

1. Premier league is not live on sky tv.!
2. I wrote it only happen when its on.!
3. 30 min before footy and 30 min after it finish. All goes back to NORMAL

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

My graph shows 21 days worth of speedtests, what part do you not understand?

timmcat
Dabbler

Some irrelevant responses here IMHO. Please don't use my thread to rant.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@timmcat wrote:

I suspected a DNS issue and would have tried OpenDNS but there seems to be no way of changing the DNS settings on the hub.

Anyone else seeing anything similar? 

Unfortunately the PN supplied routers have some of their functionality (like DNS setting) 'locked off'. Purchasing a new router on an off-chance is a bit expensive if it doesn't solve the problem though Embarrassed.

A quick check to see if it is DNS related might be to (temporarily) manually change the adapter settings to use the Google DNS servers? 

Google Public DNS operates recursive name servers for public use at the two following IP addresses: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for IPv4

If doing this simple test improves things consider buying a BT Home Hub 6 off Ebay (c£30) . 

This topic may help: Smart-Hub-6-Variants-and-Performance/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

melka61
Dabbler

Oh dear, i cant test my broadband when it works outside of time frame i mensioned and publish here. Lol.

Dns its not the issue its internal protocol that automaticaly slow you down. Depends what you are doing.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there @timmcat

Sorry to hear you're experiencing slowness. Our tests aren't finding the cause of that.

I've noticed your router hasn't dropped the connection in over 2 months.

Can you try power-cycling it and let us know how it goes?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet