cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow new fibre broadband

fibreinternet
Grafter

Slow new fibre broadband

Hi Plusnet. Ok service is now up and running, however I know things take time or so I’m told but is it normal to have a fibre line speed on a new connection or the second day to see results using several line speed checkers of 10-11 mbps? Just curious as this seems a little painful and currently using the 4g on my phone to write this. Thanks
P.s I have the 35mbps deal
10 REPLIES 10
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Slow new fibre broadband

Hi @fibreinternet

We're seeing slightly higher speeds of around 23mb/s from our side, but I agree that there's still time for this to pick up over the next week or so.

To aid in this process, I'd recommend that you set up your router so that it's connected to your test socket as shown here.

If you don't start to see an improvement in your speed as we move into next week, drop us a line and we'll take another look.

Would also recommend that any speed tests you run are via a device connected to the router with a wired, ethernet connection.

Best wishes

Dave

fibreinternet
Grafter

Thank you for the quick reply, I shall do as guided and inform you accordingly
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem at all - let us know how you get on.

Dave

Armin_Tamzarian
Grafter

Just a thought - have you had PlusNet confirm that you are definitely on fibre?

On 29 April, I switched from BT Superfast Fibre Plus to PlusNet Unlimited Fibre Extra - both around 65 Mbps. Or so I thought...

I checked the speed on activation day and did some more checks over the following 48 hours. I was consistently getting 17.6 Mbps down / 1 Mbps up - regardless of device, browser or speed checker website. To me, these numbers seemed suspiciously like ADSL speeds so I phoned PlusNet. The agent did a check and confirmed that, yes, PlusNet had incorrectly switched me to ADSL.  He then had to place an order to "upgrade" my broadband to fibre. This was on 01 May.

Two weeks later, i.e. today 15 May, I finally got the fibre service I had originally ordered on 08 April.  When the fibre service was enabled earlier today, the speed instantly jumped to 65 Mbps down / 17.5 Mbps up. No waiting for it to "settle" - 48 hours, a week, 10 days - or whatever.

What strikes me as completely daft is that I was already on the equivalent fibre service with BT. In getting my order wrong, PlusNet would have had to request an Openreach engineer to visit the street cabinet to switch me to ASDL. Then today, another Openreach engineer visit to the street cabinet to switch me back to fibre. And the best part is that BT Consumer, PlusNet and Openreach all belong to BT Group. You really could not make it up.

fibreinternet
Grafter

Thanks for your thoughts, very interesting. Is anyone from Plusnet reading this able to check that I have definitively been switched from adsl to fibre? Would satisfy my curiosity as even hard wired to the router and using several speed check sites plugged directly into wall box at point of entry i am only getting 13-15mbps, definitely not 23mbps to the house.
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @fibreinternet

Just to confirm, you're definitely on a fibre product.

Thanks

Dave

fibreinternet
Grafter

Thanks for the short reply, unfortunately in that case my speed is quite inadequate! And not at all what I least expected.
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @fibreinternet

Thanks for coming back to us.

I understand why you'd feel that way, but as we've discussed the speed you're experiencing now is not necessarily indicative of the speeds you'll receive once the training period of the line has completed.

As per my initial response, if the speed hasn't improved via a wired speed test, with the router in the test socket, by the start of next week, please raise a fault and we'll be more than happy to ask our suppliers to take a look at this on your behalf.

As things stand, the line is doing exactly what it is designed to do and I fully expect your speed to improve over the time period we've discussed.

Just to set your mind at ease - your line is capable of just over the 40mb/s provided by your fibre package (as shown here) so I don't expect this to be a long term problem. If it becomes an issue after the traning period, we'll be happy to get involved and find a resolution.

Best wishes

Dave

fibreinternet
Grafter

Hello Plusnet, firstly thank you for responding to my previous messages quickly very good. I appreciate that the system has to adjust to my line but even with the router plugged in directly to the first wall box at point of entry into the house and using my laptop with a wired connection I find my line speed and use of fibre very frustrating, to my box there has been no faster speed than 13-15 mbps, also running ping tests return a disappointing 246-400ms.
As it is there is no noticeable difference between my previous adsl broadband and this fibre broadband apart from the price increase. Could you get openreach or someone else who is knowledgable
To rectify what seems to me a problem.
Thank you
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

No problem @fibreinternet,

I'm afraid we wouldn't usually raise a fault to our suppliers until after the 10 day stabilisation period and I appreciate this is frustrating. The main reason behind this is to prevent the engineer attending, confirming the line is going through stabilisation and not implementing any corrective actions.

After retesting the line, your sync speed is 22.7Mbps while the connection is stable. This is lower than the estimated speeds of 32.4Mbps - 40Mbps and I must admit that the latency you are experiencing is indicative of a fault.

Could you connect your router to the test socket while the stabilisation period ends by following the guide here. If the issue persists, raise a fault and let us know on here so we can look towards progressing the fault with our suppliers.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional