Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet

bazzaman
Hooked

Slow internet

I have been with 

plusnet some months i have a Plusnet Hub One router. I use a Speed Checker and have found that speeds on average are 

ping 16ms

download 19.58 mbps

upload 8.81 mbps but today it is

ping 164ms

download 7 mbps

upload 8.6 mbps

These results are not good, what can i do to improve them if anything. i also loose signal occasionally i.e. router shows orange etc

12 REPLIES 12
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Slow internet

Hi @bazzaman,

I'm sorry that your connection is poor and for the delay in getting back to you on here. I've tested your line and can see that it's currently syncing at 5.9mbps, which is significantly below your estimated speed of 38 - 40mbps. However, the test hasn't picked up the cause of this from here:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 5.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 429.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-30M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2020-03-17T12:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 6.2 Mbps 29.9 Mbps 29.5 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps
Up Time 614.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.2 Sec
Retrains 0.0 9.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2020-03-30T10:20:46Z 2020-03-30T10:35:46Z
Ingress Code Violation 1 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

As the test hasn't picked up the cause of this from here, we'll need to do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out. I'd recommend starting with basic checks here. If these checks don't resolve the problem, the next step would be to connect your router directly to the test socket, which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the connection stabilises. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. Please see the following guide for instructions on how to connect to the test socket. https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Please let us know if this doesn't resolve the problem.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
bazzaman
Hooked

I have checked the wiring and connections etc. All is ok. I am connected to the master socket which which is the only socket in my bungalow. Unfortunately it does not have a test socket. However I have removed the faceplate and checked the connections visually and they look ok ?
bazzaman
Hooked

Emily
In addition to my previous post. I have changed the cable from master skt to router and switched router off for a few minutes. Speed is now 16 mbps but still far from ‘normal’
bazzaman
Hooked

bazzaman
Hooked

this just isn't good enough !!!!!!!

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Mmm, I had a previous problem which was supposedly being handled by EmilyD. I hope that she's OK.

bazzaman
Hooked

I hope EmilyD is ok but surely someone is able to respond if she is not at her desk for some reason. It just feels like Plusnet do not care if customers have a problem.If they have a staffing issue they just need to tell me that my problem is on hold until things improve, but don't leave me dangling as if I don't exist !!! 

bazzaman
Hooked

I just checked again and it is much improved ?

down 41.15 mb/s

up 17.54 mb/s

ping 20ms

Obviously this is acceptable. What has change ?Huh

bazzaman
Hooked

can you look into this again Plusnet it should never be this low no matter what e.g. too many users etc 1.98 mbs download is not acceptable

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

@bazzaman

Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at http://faults.plus.net.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
bazzaman
Hooked

I appreciate you have a priority system but i am a paying customer and i am getting a very poor service for my money. when will you deal with my problem.i have raised this issue with the Ombudsman CM039389-20.

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @bazzaman I am sorry but we aren't working anything speed relate and are advising our customers to raise a fault with the link already provided above. I am sorry but we are doing everything we can to support customers the best we can throughout this pandemic, if you can please stick to Ethernet connections rather than wireless to get the best speeds possible.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team