cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet

davegee59
Hooked

Slow internet

Why is my internet so slow if it's running around at 36 if I connect my laptop or iPad to my iPhone by personal hotspot its miles faster am I being ripped off or is there a simple explnation

atb

Dave

3 REPLIES 3
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Slow internet

Hi Dave,

You haven't really given much to go on here... can you be more specific? 

Do you mean you should be getting 36mb but aren't, but if you connect to a personal hotspot (4g or something?) its faster?

How are you accessing the internet, over wifi? Have you tried via a direct cable to the router etc?

Has it always been slow or just started?

What are you using to measure speed too?

thx ms

davegee59
Hooked

Hi thanks for the reply to my thread I was  little vague I meant my service is running at 36 mb but it is still slow whilst browsing and I connect wirelessly 

I use the bt wholesale speed test nod it returns 30 plus all the time

atb

Dave

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

If you can its best to test with a lan cable, with the router plugged into the master socket, although i the BTW test gives you 30 on a 36meg line they are probably not causing you issues.

If it is intermittent then it may be noise on the line, or it may be effected by your PC, its ifs doing lots of updates etc.

One thing some people find works is to change the ir DNS settings to use google on 8.8.8. (dont have the link but if you search 8.8.8.8 on the forums it should give a guide to changing DNS settings!)

What speed do you get if you go to speedtest.net ?

thx ms