Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet speeds

Denzle
Grafter

Slow internet speeds

Hello and good day. 
The last couple of months I’ve been experiencing slow download speeds on the internet. I currently subscribe to the 40/10 package. In the past I used to get a rock steady 37Mbps but lately I’ve been getting speeds in the low 20’s and occasionally barely in double figures. Could someone please check my line from your end. Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Slow internet speeds

Hi @Denzle, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you've been having speed issues as of recent. I can confirm when checking your connection from this side we're currently seeing 38.2Mbps download and 10Mbps upload reaching your router with no sign of errors or underlying issues.
Are the speeds you've been seeing hitting the low 20's then whilst you were on a wireless device or wired?
When testing the speeds, are you also making sure nothing is using the connection at the time which could potentially be skewing the results?
I look forwards to hearing from you further.

Denzle
Grafter

Hello and Thank you BD. The slow down in my internet speed coincides with installation of a smart TV. Would this have any bearing on my internet speed. I’ve shut down and rebooted my router and for a short while I got speeds in the mid 30’s but this only lasted for a short while then dropped back to the low 20’s. Today on checking my speeds my upload speed was more than my download speed. As long as you’ve tested the line from your side (Thank you). I’ll carry out further investigation on my side. Thanks for taking time out to help me, much appreciated. Kindest regards Denzle.

Denzle
Grafter

Sorry BD. I failed to answer your original question. I’m on a wireless router system. The only other thing I use WiFi is little Alexa and my mobile phone and of course my smart TV.

Thank you. Denzle

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Denzle,

Whilst there's many things that can cause the Wi-Fi to slow down, it's probably not a coincidence that this has coincided with the introduction of the Smart TV to the setup. Is the router right next to the TV, or in it's general vicinity?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Denzle
Grafter

Hi AJ Thank you for your response. The router is abou 8 feet away from my smart TV.

Cheers. Denzle

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for confirming this @Denzle. Are you able to connect the router to the Smart TV via an Ethernet cable to see if this makes any difference?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Denzle
Grafter

Hi AJ. Unfortunately you’re dealing with a right technophobe here. Don’t think I got the know how to carry out this procedure. Even when the tv is turned off I’m still getting very low internet speeds. I thought for a while that my internet had been defaulted to the 20Mbps tariff. I’ll disconnect router and reboot everything later and see how I get on. Thanks for your help. Cheers Denzle

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @Denzle. Sometimes a reboot can do the trick, so please let us know how this goes. If the same problem persists then I'd recommend following this guide in order to try and improve your wireless experience as much as possible.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team