Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet speeds in the evening but not in the morning Test Results

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Slow internet speeds in the evening but not in the morning Test Results

The tests, see attachments were carried out both during the 18:00 - 00:00 period and this morning.

One windows 10 computer connected directly to the modem, no other equipment connected.

No Wifi (the router does not have wifi)

Please can you confirm there is no problem with the exchange equipment, ie hot vlan, or an over subscribed dslam.

Attached

BT WholesaleTest Diagnostics 0914 11-mar-2019.pdf

BT WholesaleTest. 0914 11-mar2019.pdf

BT WholesaleTest Diagnostics 1907 10-mar-2019.pdf

BT WholesaleTest 1907 10-mar-2019.pdf

VDSL Stats.pdf

16 REPLIES 16
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Re: Slow internet speeds in the evening but not in the morning Test Results

Hi @dws1900

I have tested your line and it is not detecting VLAN issues. I have also contacted our suppliers who advised of no VLAN issues..  The speeds at the moment are testing at 22.4Mbps

To progress your fault, we need to arrange an engineer visit.

I have opened up a fault ticket on your account for you to reply back to with your availability:

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=188263763

Please get back to us on here once you've replied back to the ticket to get the engineer booked in.

I hope this helps

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@Beyhive 

Reading the email sent about a visit, it implies that regardless of the outcome of the visit, I will still have to pay 65 pounds

Please confirm this.

Thanks

<quote>

Before we book an engineer to investigate and try to fix your issue, I need to make you aware of the following information, and you will need to accept before we proceed. As part of the investigation of this fault we may need an engineer to visit your property to test the line. If the engineer finds the problem is with your internal wiring, your equipment, the condition of your property or the Openreach network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like building or garden works or if no fault is found, you will receive a charge of £65 to cover the cost of the engineer. This charge will also apply if you miss the appointment or you cancel without giving us 2 working days' notice. This charge will apply at all times when we're working on the fault and you'll need to accept this statement again if the issue is closed and then re-opened.
</quote>

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

@dws1900

You do not automatically get charged for an engineer visit and this is more so a potential charge which can occur. The charge could occur for a few reasons but ultimately if there wasn't a need for a engineer appointment to be arranged. The statement highlights if the problem is being caused by something internal (which could have been ruled out before hand with checks advised to do your side), if the appointment once arranged is missed or if the appointment once arranged is cancelled within 48 hours of the visit.

We can always dispute an engineer charge if we feel this has been asked for unfairly and you did the steps necessary before the engineer appointment was in place.

Could you please confirm what router you are using at the moment as you have mentioned on your initial post that the router you have does not have wifi. Is it the Plusnet Hub you are using or a third party router?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@Beyhive 

Re wifi, please reread the original post where it states the situation regarding wifi and the router.

Model Name  Vigor2860  System Up Time
 8:24:25
Router Name  DrayTek Current Time
 Mon Mar 11 2019 17:35:34
 Firmware Version  3.8.9.3_BT  Build Date/Time  Aug 29 2018 15:38:11
 DSL Version  576D17_A/B/C HW: A  LAN MAC Address  
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @dws1900,

Thank you very much for confirming the router details.

Please let us know if you have any further queries regarding the potential charge for the engineer visit. If you're happy to go ahead with this visit, please add your availability to the fault ticket and then get back in touch on here so we can book this in for you.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@Beyhive wrote:

We can always dispute an engineer charge if we feel this has been asked for unfairly and you did the steps necessary before the engineer appointment was in place.

You mean Plusnet can dispute it with Plusnet? It is, of course, entirely Plusnet's decision as to when and how much they charge their customers.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @ejs,

The charge is passed on by our suppliers (Openreach.) Although we are both part of the BT group, we operate completely separately and so don't have control over whether the engineer charge is applied. Where the charge is legitimate, we cover the majority and £65 is passed on to the customer.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@EmilyD wrote:

Where the charge is legitimate, we cover the majority and £65 is passed on to the customer.

Exactly, that is what Plusnet chooses to do with it. You could opt to do something different. Your suppliers don't make you pass on only £65 of it.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

One windows 10 computer connected directly to the Plusnet HUB1 modem using an ethernet cable, NOT wifi.

Please can you confirm there is not an over subscribed dslam.
If the dslam, and as stated the exchange equipment is not at fault I request you investigate further.

Regarding emails about contract and payment for OR visits, I will contact you via the ticket system
due to the possible legal issues regarding the statements.

Attached

BTWholesaleTestDiagnostics201011mar2019.pdf

BTWholesaleTest201011mar2019.pdf

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

Two further tests carried out this morning,  showing the speeds back to normal for the line.

BTWSDiag055712MAR2019.pdf

BTWSTest0602122MAR2019.pdf

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@dws1900,

Testing doesn't show any DSLAM over subscriptions but to double check I've spoken to BT Wholesale and they've confirmed they're also unable to see any issues either.

To be honest the next steps to investigate is an engineer visit, but I understand you want to address this further on the ticket but to clarify something you've queried; you do not pay for the engineer visit if any issue is found on the BT Network.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Typo edited.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@JOLO 

Assuming that the dslam monitoring was performed during the 18:00-00:00 (typically, it can vary, its not exactly the same every evening) together with the statement that there is no problem with the v-lan, and the fact that my tests show the slowdown within the evening period, and considering the line is good, (as referred to in a number of gea's and my monitoring) I must conclude the problem is further along the network path, possibly outside the control of PN.

This is backed up by recent posts on the BT web site regarding the same issue, evening slowdowns, and also on this board.

Regarding a visit, my line is over the golden 1km, but is far more stable than the previous adsl service (pre PN), and I do not wish do suffer any disruptions as other have suffered and described on this board.

Eventually OR will realise that by adding an extra 128 lines to a cabinet 1.5km away is not a good idea and more subscribers will complain.

We are definitely not on super-fast broadband, as we are sub 24Mbs.

Thank-you for the clarification regarding a visit and charges, the email received and reproduced here clearly is in error and needs to be addressed.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

Slow speeds in the evening part deux

Hi

A reply to ticket 188263763 would be appreciated.

FYI the situation has not changed since PN's call, and an explanation, in writing is required.

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Slow speeds in the evening part deux

Hi there.

I've added a reply to your fault ticket.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Typo fixed.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet