cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet. Trying to understand what's going on.

DeeAJay
Dabbler

Slow internet. Trying to understand what's going on.

I reported slow internet, frequent loss of connection to PN and they reckon the issue has now been fixed. An email from PN said: "We're pleased to confirm that according to the information we have, we believe your broadband speeds are faster than the of 48Mbps we promised you." Meanwhile, we've noticed no difference. Our internet service is slow and almost usable at times. Also, we cannot link to the 5Ghz band. Unfortunately, the patch Bob Pullen sent us stopped working. 

The 48Mbp presumably is our line speed.

Here are results of WIRED speed tests (throughput speeds??) 

BT wholesale no. 1: Download 22.04,  Upload 6.01,  Ping 107

BT wholesale no. 2: Download 0,  Upload 6.08,  Ping 124

Ofcom no. 1: Download 2.1,  upload 0,  data delay not available

Ofcom no.2: Download 2.9,  Upload 5.7,  data delay 18

What does this mean? Apparently, we have no faults on our line. And why is the BT wholesale result higher, sometimes considerably higher, than the other speedcheck results? 

8 REPLIES 8
DeeAJay
Dabbler

Re: Slow internet. Trying to understand what's going on.

I meant my internet is almost unusable at times rather than almost usable.

DeeAJay
Dabbler

@Golmx001  Yes, many of us are having problems at the moment. I can't use my iPad. It just takes too long to access websites. Tv buffering is also an issue. All our devices are crowding out the 2.4Ghz band.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi @DeeAJay
As a way to see the routers connection speed, please run the BT wholesale broadband availablity checker:
https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL
And advise what is reported for the Observed speeds.
If your ipad wil not connect, it seems some of the problems are WiFi related.
Given the number of posts on this forum, the Plusnet Hub One appears to have WiFi reliability issues.
One option is to replace the Plusnet router with a BT Smart Hub 6 bought from Ebay.
These often sell for less than £20.
Regards
Richard
DeeAJay
Dabbler

Yes, I've bought a second hand BT router from Ebay. I'll see how I get on with it. My iPad certainly does not like being on the 2.4Ghz band. When it was connected to 5Ghz last week following the patch sent by Bob Pullen, it was better but still not great. Unfortunately, we're back to 2.4Ghz only. We've turned off some of our devices but it hasn't made a difference.

By why should I use the Bt wholesale speed test? It usually gives higher readings. Why is that? Why did the Increase Broadband Speed site say earlier this year, quote, "While we used to rate the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test highly for accuracy and useful additional information ... the new test ... provides completely inaccurate results."?

The same site says the Ookla test is the most accurate. Here are my unwired results using that test.

Download 2.0 Mbs

Upload 6.1 Mbs

Jitter 121 ms

Ping 25 ms

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

I did not suggest a speed test. I provided a link to the BT availability site.
It will report the telephones lines speed range and more interestingly the Observed connection speeds.
Littel point trying to improve WiFi speeds if the line speed is bad.
DeeAJay
Dabbler

Ah, I see now. Sorry.

So, I'm not sure whether the image will be clear enough but here are the results from this check.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Hi

The picture shows that on the 16th October the synch speeds were 39.96 Mbps down and 6.52 Mbps up.

So well below what Plusnet have stated:

"We're pleased to confirm that according to the information we have, we believe your broadband speeds are faster than the of 48Mbps we promised you."

Given that picture shows the BT Wholesale downstream minimum rate is 52.6Mbps and the minimum upstream rate is 12.2 Mbps, I would either either respond to the Plusnet fault ticket that the issue is not fixed or open a new ticket if you have to.

https://faults.plus.net.

Once the line speed is in the right ball park, then address the WiFi issues.

Regards

Richard

DeeAJay
Dabbler

Ok. Thanks for your help. I’ll get back to Plusnet.