Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow fibre...

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Slow fibre...

Swopped over to fibre beginning of last week and have been patiently waiting for the speed to settle - and improve, hopefully at or near the 40 megs package I'm on.  Speeds were pretty constant from day one but a fair bit down on what I was hoping for.  They normally hover around the 30 megs up and 1.6 megs down. 
I was expecting much better speeds than this.  I'm only ~500 meters from the FTTC cabinet.
I thought Mathew had picked this up on another thread a couple of days ago but it never came to anything... Sad

Following cut and pasted from the BTW tester this morning:-
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
31.21 Mbps

0 Mbps 38.71 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 31.21 Mbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 20 Mbps-38.71 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 38.71 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
1.68 Mbps

0 Mbps 2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.68Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps

Can anyone on PN have a look pse...
7 REPLIES 7
Blake
Grafter

Re: Slow fibre...

Go to dslchecker.bt.com
What is it stating for your estimates?
PNnewbie
Rising Star

High  Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean)               74   54.9 20   16.2  -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)           65.1  39.4 20   11.5
Blake
Grafter

It does appear there is either a wrongly set speed on the account  (unlikely to be as wrong as that) or a fault.
Have you got a clear phone line is is there any noise/no dialling tone?
Also, are you on unlimited fibre or unlimited fibre extra out of interest?
I would say to raise this ASAP on faults.plus.net and await the faults team update on their investigations.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

I've checked using 'quiet line' and the line is quiet.
Dialling tone is OK
Incoming/outgoing calls are ok.
I'm on unlimited fibre 40 up 2 down.
Been like this since BT installed fibre week last Monday.
Blake
Grafter

Thanks for the info, this is either a definite broadband fault or a case of under-performing wireless on the router, interference in the house or something to do with the system you are using like network adapters/drivers.
The most important thing I need to know to conclude what you are facing is whether these tests were performed over wireless and how many devices have you measured the speed on?
If it was done on wireless, the next step is to do some wired tests to find out if it is an issue with the wireless/wireless settings.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Thanks for your help.
When I had ADSL I was getting good speeds, around 5 megs, I'm about 4 miles from the Exchange and my broadband was problem free so I've no reason to suspect local noise or network adapters/drivers.  Nothing has changed except Open Reach came here to fit their Huawei Echo Life HG612 box.  They also changed the master socket faceplate to a Mk3 plate.  I previously had one with built in filters that worked well and meant I had less bits hanging from the Master socket.
PN sent me a Sagecom 2704N which I connected and everything worked, just that the speed was down.
I use wired as opposed to wireless.
I have done speed tests using 4 or 5 testers and they all give ~ the same results.
I make sure nothing else is running when I do the tests, I've even been turning off my anti-virus and anti-malware software so I 'think' I'm doing all the right things!
I believe I can plug my pc directly into the BT box as per instructions on the PN site, that would take the Sagecom out of the equation, I may do that tomorrow.
Meanwhile thanks again for your patience.
Blake
Grafter

All sounds to be done correct to me although it can be worth trying a second hard wired device as issues can crop up on any system.
I have a £2000+ Alienware 14 laptop and after I reinstalled windows one time, It would limit the speed to 10mbps on the upstream (not limited over wirelessly) and it was to do with a driver.
Certainly not the main suspect though that it would be your system with the information we have so far.
As you say the next step would be to connect using the OR Modem using a PPPoE connection, for this you will need your broadband username and password which is your plusnet username followed by @plusdsl.net and then just the account password.