cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow fibre tonight?

awahwah
Grafter

Re: Slow fibre tonight?

Looks like downstream congestion to me.  Wonder if we would get some line stats from Plusnets Routers?  Would love to see the until on them and what their uplink speed actually is (committed rate).
For the records, I've see congestion within the Plusnet Network (seems fine after) for the last couple of nights.  May be its time to buy a couple more IP Clear circuits.......
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: awahwah
For the records, I've see congestion within the Plusnet Network (seems fine after) for the last couple of nights.  May be its time to buy a couple more IP Clear circuits.......

How have you seen that and how do you know it's Plusnet's network?
@ carlmagic - Which exchange are you on? Can you try this speed test http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and post the result?
carlmagic
Grafter

Hi andy
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=141859431107539585429 Is the think broadband result
and this is a speedtest from earlyer on tonight too

I am on the Ruabon exhange https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WNRUA this one.
Modem is still connected at 80/20 and uptime of 48 hours now. So it really doesnt look like its a problem between my computer or modem and the cabinet.

Tried the tap 3 test again and while i could not get a results page i print screened my nic card usage it seems to be going faster using TAP3, but still not hitting 70+.

Hope i have provided enough infomation for the plusnet staff, if you need anything else please do ask.
I have also tried bypassing my router as per your broadband fix sugestions and making a PPPoE connection from my PC, however the speed results where the same.
Im running an unlocked openreach modem (so i can pull stats) and an Edge router lite.
AndyH
Grafter

Have you tried updating the firmware of your NIC card?
It doesn't look like typical congestion to me.
carlmagic
Grafter

hi andy, this is the same on multiple computers not just one :(. As you can seee on my live thinkbroadband ping monitor in the prime time the averages go way up and then down again after midnight. (Its on the first page)
AndyH
Grafter

What's your usage like? Do you have any programs or services running in the background on any machines which could be using bandwidth?
Normally there's a noticeable difference between the HTTPx1 and HTTPx6 results on the TBB speed test with congestion.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
I've had a look at your account and can't see anything immediately obvious. It's worth looking in to the suggestions from AndyH in the last post as the large amounts of usage on your account wouldn't signify any major issues that we can see. It's worth checking if anything is uploading as if the upload is being saturated the download speeds can suffer.
I see you've opened a fault ticket, this has picked up a larger than expected number of disconnections on your line, our faults team will take a look at those to see what's happening.
*edit*
I've just performed a line test and we're being told that there may be VLAN congestion which would explain why you see the slower speeds in the evening. I'll let our faults guys take this from here as they are best placed to report this and get more information.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
carlmagic
Grafter

Hi the large amount of disconnects over the last two days could be my brining the connection down to change my username to BT's TAP3 test. Although if their is more than in the last two days then I doubt it was me.
My modem is also showing over 60 hours uptime on the vdsl connection.

I have checked that nothing else was running while doing the speed tests and my router shows active usage on its interfaces which also where showing that no other activity but the speediest was running eaither up or down. I also connected my laptop which is hardly ever turned on now I have an iPad (so wasn't connected for all the speedtests) directly to the modem and created a PPPOE connection with the laptop so it was the only device using it. This however resulted in the same slow speed and made no difference.
With being able to see interface usage on my router and also cutting out the network entirely by using a direct connection to a mostly unused laptop I am positive that the problem does not reside on my internal network. Also due to the fact it disappears at or shortly after midnight every night.  
However if their is something else you want me to try please ask.

You mentioned vlan congestion. Would this be something that could be fixed easily or does it simply require more capacity at one or more of the nodes between me and the gateways. Thanks very much for your help and I hope this can be resolved.
thanks.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If it's VLAN congestion we'd be waiting for capacity to be added, the faults guys can normally find out if/when this is planned for.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
carlmagic
Grafter

Ok thanks chris, DSLStats has been monitoring my modem the whole time, so if the fault guys are interested i could easily zip up the files it has produced and send them to you.
Thanks.
AndyH
Grafter

Normally the SVLANs take 2-3 days to be upgraded/moved around. If work is needed to be done to increase capacity on the physical links, it will be longer. The faults guys should give you an idea when they here back from BT Wholesale.
carlmagic
Grafter

It's been a couple of days now and have not heard anything except a ticket last night which seemed to indicate that support thought my problem was disconnects which I was trying to explain was not true as these disconnects where me trying to use a tap3 test to bypass plusnet network or disconnecting to gateway hop. My line stays synced at 80/20 continuously and frankly only getting 10-20mb in prime timehours is unacceptable this is obviously to do with eaither your or openreaches network not being able to handle the load.
I look forward to hearing from you soon. I have also replied to the ticket saying it's not resolved.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I'm not sure why it was sent back to you.
Our suppliers have confirmed that the SVLAN you are on is over capacity and they're trying to find out when more will be added.
We should have further updates either by the close of play today or tomorrow.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
carlmagic
Grafter

I have received a ticket this morning update mentioning that ill receive an update on the 29th roughly. However i also asked a question in my ticket about this result on the line test:
Copper Line Test Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue
and the response didnt mention it, could a plusnet staff member please look at the ticket and check if their is also an issue with the copper on my line. Thanks
Question #96187230
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I've tested your phone line and it's not showing any issues.
The SVLAN is still red but that should be resolved by the 29th.
If your still having issues after that please let us know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team