cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow fibre speed, new customer

lloyddjchris

Slow fibre speed, new customer

Hi,

I've just transferred over from sky broadband and my plusnet unlimited fibre was activated today.  Since connecting up the router the speed seems very slow.  I've done a speed test on the Bt wholesale speedtest site which shows a download speed of 6 mbps with an acceptable range of 27 - 40 mbps.  On the plusnet website it states my current line speed as 37mbps.  Is it normal for speeds to be this slow on the first day of activation.  I used to get faster than that on my standard sky adsl broadband. The speedtest was done via an ethernet cable.

Cheers

14 REPLIES 14
bigben
Grafter

Re: Slow fibre speed, new customer

I am having exactly the same issue.. My first day on fiber and i have the same download speed as my previous ADSL.

jonnyboy28
Dabbler

Yep, same here. First day d/l speeds 8mb....I was on about 14mb on adsl 😞

lloyddjchris

So I wonder if this is normal for the first day or we've all made a big mistake joining plusnet. I've raised an issue through the broadband trouble shooting thing so hopefully will get a call tomorrow
bigben
Grafter

I have since checked the stats info from the modem and they indicate a line rate of 39 meg, yet a speed test shows 5meg..What is going on Plusnet.. 😕 

bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@lloyddjchris @bigben @jonnyboy28

First, check first that your PlusNet username and password is correctly set in your router (presumably a PlusNet Hub One). It's supposed to get set automatically but sometimes that fails and it defaults to a dummy account with 6Mbps bandwidth.

jonnyboy28
Dabbler

Mine is set correctly 😞

Tried everything. Plusnet details currently: estimated line speed 80/20, current line speed 77.4mb, Speed test download 8.5mb (using ethernet connection), upload 18.5mb (which is fine)....

bobminors
Aspiring Pro

@jonnyboy28 Okay, in that case you need to contact PlusNet. Your linespeed is controlled by BT and that is okay but the actual throughput is throttled according to a server setting that PlusNet control.

Sometimes on a new connection, particularly if you are upgrading from ADSL, the message doesn't get through from the part of PlusNet that sold you the service to the part of PlusNet that controls the throttling, to say that it should be reset to an appropriate number. This happened to me last month, but it was quickly fixed when I contacted PlusNet.

I found the Chat system effective. You may have to wait half an hour or so to get through to a person but when you do they will quickly get it sorted out for you. Raising a fault ticket yourself is also possible but it may be a few days before anyone responds to it.

bigben
Grafter

I'm using the Open reach modem with a dgnd3700v2 on the wan side.. my plusnet details are the same as always. if i were on this dummy account would the modem sync at 39meg? also my upload is 2meg which is what an email from plusnet said it would be.   It seems more a profiling fault or throttling.?

jonnyboy28
Dabbler

Thanks 🙂

I've used the chat system before and it does indeed seem to be the most effective way of getting something done quickly 🙂

bobminors
Aspiring Pro

@bigben

Yes, the line will sync at 40/2 (or just below) regardless of your server profile (provided BT have wired you up correctly in the local cabinet, which clearly they have). You still need to get PlusNet to reset your profile at the server end because that's what is throttling your useful throughput. It looks like they've just forgotten to increase it from the ADSL figure.

bigben
Grafter

Thanks I will try the chat thing during the day if i can get through. . The whole recontacting/updating bank details process has just been a mess. Not to mention being told I didn't qualify for the latest £5 a month deal because i wasn't a new customer. Being a customer since 2009 gets you nothing.

lloyddjchris

Still having a right nightmare with this. Spoke to somebody on plusnet online chat yesterday who advised there is a fault (unbalanced cable) on the phone line and that's causing the problem. Openreach have been out today and fixed that fault but the guy did say he didn't think it was that causing the slow fibre speed as the fault was after the broadband had already come off and I need a broadband engineer out.

Tonight I've been having a look at the router settings as advised above and I've noticed the username is setup@plusdsl.net. I'm guessing this is wrong and maybe that's causing the problem. Whenever I reset the router I get the broadband setup page come up and I put in my username and password and it tells me everything is set up. Should the username be changing in the router settings or is that setup@plusdsl.net correct.

Every time I speed test I get the same result download of 6.7 Mbps.

It's a plusnet hub one router

Cheers

Chris
bigben
Grafter

@lloyddjchris I didn't even unbox the supplied router so i knew my details hadn't changed, but i did notice while looking through the members center settings, that there are settings for auto router setup on plugging in the router. Could it be that your box is pre programed with the wrong info. Or its wrong at PN end.. Can you test with a different box.

bobminors
Aspiring Pro

@lloyddjchris

When you reset the router, it defaults the username to that setup one, instead of your own. What is supposed to happen when it first connects after that is that the server should detect your identity and automatically feed your username and password into the router setup. If that fails, you need to do it manually. You will only get a nominal 6Mbps bandwidth until the username is right.