cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow fibre no FB Insta Netflix xbox

Jackbontempi
Dabbler

Slow fibre no FB Insta Netflix xbox

Moved house 6 months ago and upgraded to fibre. Since then the internet has been ok rubbish. We struggle to stream Netflix or use Xbox live. Our Phones won’t load social media posts so we always switch to 4g and things load instantly. Every time we do a speed check it avarages around 30mb so I don’t know what the problem is. Speed is fine but nothing works. Tried reinstalling all apps but this can’t be the case as 4g works perfectly, it’s just the WiFi wired or wireless. Never manage to get through to customer service, and last time I did the guy did a check and said it was all fine. Can anyone help?
12 REPLIES 12
harrym1byt
Rising Star

Re: Slow fibre no FB Insta Netflix xbox

Look up the other long and current thread about problems connecting to Facebook.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Jackbontempi

Thanks for getting in touch. With this affecting a number of different platforms (Facebook, Netflix, websites) I don't think it relates to the Facebook thread which has been mentioned by @harrym1byt.

Could you please confirm what speeds you're seeing from your side via a wired connection?

Do you find that a wired connection produces the same issues (you've mentioned wired but then said wifi in the same sentence, so not sure which you're using atm).

Do you find these issues occur specifically or more often with particular sites/apps or is it just a general speed issue?

Best wishes,

Dave

Jackbontempi
Dabbler

Hello,
I’ve tested all connections 3 times:
Wired: 36.2, 36.8, 36.7
Wireless: 32.4, 31.4, 32.8
4g: 22.2, 22.4, 22.2

So it doesn’t seem to be a speed issue.

As 4g is consistent and I’ve not had a single problem.

With wireless all apps I use on phone will stop loading after about 3-4 minutes.
Facebook and other social media seems to load initially, then when you get to the bottom of threads or new videos appear, it won’t load, I wait a few minutes and nothing happens, so I switch to 4g and it instantly loads and works.
Same with Spotify and Netflix, it will work for maybe 5 songs or a 20 minute episode but after that it drops out, Spotify will say no connection and Netflix will drop quality and then start buffering.
I had the tv wired and also the Xbox wired the other day with a 5m Ethernet cable, and the same thing happened.
If I run a speed test when it cuts out, it reads between 4-8mb but then after a few tests it jumps back up to 32-38mb
So it seems to just cut in and out.

We had standard plusnet broadband for 7 years between 8-12mb and we never had a problem. It was actually really good. When we moved, we were advised to get fibre but it hasn’t worked properly since.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems.

I've been in touch with our suppliers quality assurance team to check the part of their network at the exchange that your connection is routed through, because I can see that another part at the same exchange is suffering from a capacity/overutilisation problem, but they've said that that issue is isolated to that part so shouldn't be affecting you.

Are you able to run a traceroute for us from a laptop or PC? Ideally plugged into the router using an ethernet cable.

[edit]

If you can, run a traceroute to pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com please

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jackbontempi
Dabbler

Yes I can do
Any particular domain?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

See my edit Smiley

To pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jackbontempi
Dabbler

that took quite a while...

Traceroute has started…

traceroute to pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com (80.249.99.164), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets

1  dsldevice (192.168.1.254)  23.658 ms  0.929 ms  0.893 ms

2  * * *

3  * * *

4  be3-3104.psb-ir01.plus.net (195.166.143.136)  9.167 ms  9.105 ms  8.890 ms

5  core1-be1.southbank.ukcore.bt.net (195.99.125.130)  8.953 ms  9.656 ms  9.190 ms

6  peer8-et-3-0-2.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net (109.159.252.182)  10.270 ms  10.455 ms  9.988 ms

7  * * *

8  po4-31.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net (80.249.97.85)  11.029 ms  12.133 ms  11.079 ms

9  pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com (80.249.99.164)  9.887 ms  10.143 ms  10.357 ms

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for this.

While the latency isn't what I'd call high, there is higher latency on the first hop at the router compared to the hops afterwards, which may indicate that the problem is the router itself. Have you tried a factory reset of it by pushing a paperclip into the reset hole at the back for 20 seconds?

If you're still having issues, are you using your own router or the one we sent you, as we could try sending you a replacement?

Finally, is your router plugged into the master socket or an extension?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jackbontempi
Dabbler

I’ve tried the reset with no difference.
I’m using the plusnet supplied router.
It’s plugged in to the master socket with no filter, via a 50cm cat6 cable.
I was thinking about upgrading the router but I did want to pay out anymore money if it turned out tha the router wasn’t the problem.
If you’re certain it’s the router would you be able to suggest a suitable upgrade?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm not 100% confident that the router is the issue, but it seems to be the next step in trying to work out what the cause of the problem is, so I've ordered you a replacement now, which should arrive within the next few days.

Unfortunately I can't really recommend a third party router(Mainly because I've always used an ISP router, at least for the past 10 years). Unless you're planning on buying a third party router either way, I'd probably hold off and see if the new plusnet router fixes this. 

If you do continue to experience problems, I think we should then look at sending an engineer out to do a lift & shift(Essentially moving your line to a different port at the cabinet), so I'd raise a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net giving us a nudge over when you've done so and we'll be happy to pick it up. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jackbontempi
Dabbler

Hello,
I still haven’t received the router. Are you able to track this for me?
Thank you
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hi @Jackbontempi,

I'm sorry you have not yet received the router, I have taken a look into it for you. You can find more info here.