cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow fibre, losing hope, did want to upgrade at some point

theFlash
Grafter

Slow fibre, losing hope, did want to upgrade at some point

We used to get regular speeds of 36-38mb. Since earlier this year, speeds have dropped to around 26-27mb. Plusnet said they detected a copper joint issue on the line, and a BT engineer came out.

The first engineer checked outside the property and said we could get up to 50-60mb. He detected no problem on the line, and suggested the openreach modem should be replaced if no improvement. There was no improvement and Plusnet kindly sent another enginner.

Thie engineer said he saw no copper joint issue on the line, but when I pushed, he said was not happy with the way the phone lines were connected and proceeded to re-wire. The result was exactly the same speeds, but he then set off our alarm. We asked him to put back the lines as they were.

So we are stuck with this speed, and nothing here has changed. We were considering upgrading the line, but we are not even getting what we pay for as our profile is stuck at 29mb.

To add insult to injury, the upgrades plusnet recently announced, will result in our upload speeds going down and our download speed stuck as it is. So we get less for an increased fee.

We're nervous to report an official fault as we don't want to be charged by an engineer blaming us, when it was BT that installed the plusnet connection in the first place (and it worked fine, and nothing has changed physically within the house).

At a loss at the moment. Any suggestions would be most helpful.

4 REPLIES 4
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Slow fibre, losing hope, did want to upgrade at some point

Hello there. Sorry to hear that you're getting slow speeds. I've tested your line and can see that the sync speed is too low. I would suggest reporting the fault to us at http://faults.plus.net so that our faults team can investigate further again.

(If you complete the checks we ask you to do, that should help rule out the charge should the fault lie within your property.)

Downstream Speed 30.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 13.9 Mbps
Voice Line Test Result Pass
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
theFlash
Grafter

Anoush,

Could you run that again now? As you were testing I had rebooted router. The upload starts at that, but quickly goes to 0.03mb.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Downstream Speed 29.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 12.4 Mbps

Downstream sync is still below the estimate. I would recommend going through http://faults.plus.net

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
theFlash
Grafter

Something is wrong here. I cannot upload anything. Some speedtests showing 0.03mb or 0mb. Bt Speedtest radomly changing.