Re: Slow fibre - daily router reset required

well you never know in this forum 😛

I love hobnobs you can nibble and then take a chunk out of it
Part of life living
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@colweb77

Looking back through the posts, has this problem really been going on since last August!?

I would check it out once more using the test socket. Use the filter that came with the router instead of the filtered faceplate and manage without any phone extensions for a day or two to see if it recurs. If it's still slowing down then try another router. If you want something more up to date than a Hub One, with better WiFi performance and for not much money then get a BT Smart Hub 6A off Ebay. You will find full instructions for how it can easily be set up for your Plusnet account in the Router forum. See also https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Smart-Hub-6-Variants-and-Performance/m-p/1504366#M5170. Note that later posters advise that you can use either the FTTC or FTTP versions on Plusnet but the FTTP version will leave you with only 3 LAN ports.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

colweb77
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@colweb77

Looking back through the posts, has this problem really been going on since last August!?

Yep, as unbelievable as it is, I have had these issues since August. I had many more issues before - rewired the house, installed a new master socket (or rather I paid a company to do it!). Then everything was OK for a while, then these issue started around July. We've been having to reboot the router daily since, if we do not, we start to experience weird issues with certain things. So for example call quality in Skype for Business will deteriorate on the 2nd day, and the kids complain about excess lag in their online games. We see issues with loading certain sites on mobile devices on the 2nd day too. A reboot fixes all these issues but of course Plusnet say that shouldn't have any bearing on it, but it clearly does. 

In my opinion the router is probably faulty, which would be nice if Plusnet's award winning support would agree and just send me another (as in the thread above, which never happened). 

Should I have to source another router myself? That irks me, I have to spend money because this router is either [-Censored-] or faulty. 

I will see if I can find the original filter for this router and remove the face plate of the brand new BT MK3 Master Socket and test (I was told these filters are far superior to in line filters) and test it for a few days. 

Thanks for the advice, I will consider changing routers but not sure I want any BT router, will look at others. 

Baldrick1

@colweb77 wrote:

In my opinion the router is probably faulty, which would be nice if Plusnet's award winning support would agree and just send me another (as in the thread above, which never happened).

I agree but to be fair I feel that you should have chased it when the offer was there 5 months ago. You could always try again.

I will see if I can find the original filter for this router and remove the face plate of the brand new BT MK3 Master Socket and test (I was told these filters are far superior to in line filters) and test it for a few days.

I'm not sure that the're that much better. The point of temporarily using this filter it is to check whether the filtered faceplate or your internal wiring is faulty.

I will consider changing routers but not sure I want any BT router, will look at others.

Well you pays your money and makes your choice. Filters and routers are electronic devices. Regardless of who makes them a certain percentage will fail, whilst reliability has improved over the years it will never be perfect. BT do not make routers, they stick their logos on them and to be fair we do not know at the moment that this problem is due to a faulty router..

Moderator and Customer

Bluejay5
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@Baldrick1 

I still think he deserves a ticket to get this sorted

I love hobnobs you can nibble and then take a chunk out of it
Part of life living
colweb77
Dabbler

If you look through the thread I chased it in September. Then I put up with it until Sunday where I contacted Plusnet support directly and got a poor response. 

I actually have no internal wiring at all. Master socket -> Router + Phone. It was all removed as part of my attempts to get the other issues resolved, at some expense. 

You do pay your money and get what you get, but I am paying Plusnet for a service and I feel like I'm not getting it. Just feels like they should have followed through on their replacement router offer and now they're talking about raising a fault. If there was a fault with any wiring or other local issue you would think a reboot would not fix it and it would remain after a reboot. 

Yeah I'm annoyed, yeah I could have chased it sooner, screw me for being busy eh! 

Baldrick1

There's no point in getting angry with me, I was trying to help!

Moderator and Customer

colweb77
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 wrote:

There's no point in getting angry with me, I was trying to help!

Sorry wasn't getting angry at you at all, more towards Plusnet. Thanks for your help of course. 

colweb77
Dabbler

So tested with the test socket, no difference. 

Contacted Plusnet support again, explained and said I would like a new router. 

It's in the post, will report back probably in a week because we'll know straight away if it's fixed. 

colweb77
Dabbler

Router arrived quickly, installed the next morning (Wed) has not been reset since. 

This morning it has started making an interesting noise though, like there's a fly trapped inside it. 

Think my original suspicion that these routers are garbage still stands, I will grudgingly look at alternatives at my own expense. 

Matt_2006

Exactly the sort of problem I had, was told by the support team that it was the other wifi signals around me...never experienced anything like that with any other broadband companies. Eventually got a new router sent through, still having the problems, possibly a little less frequently, but it's still there, slow speeds through wifi (wired fine) resetting the router puts it back up to full speeds. Strangely enough I experienced the weird sound you mentioned yesterday, think I might just spring for a decent router.

colweb77
Dabbler

Thanks, think I will be looking to get a router too, will do some shopping around don't want to spend a fortune! 

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.