cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow fibre - daily router reset required

colweb77
Dabbler

Slow fibre - daily router reset required

Lately - every day our fibre will slow to a crawl. I have to reset the router to get it back to normal speed. All clients are effected, Ethernet and wireless, TVs, phones, PCs, laptops, tablets, the lot slow down to a crawl DAILY until I reboot the router. Once reset we get the full glory of 22Mbps again. 

Do I have to purchase a decent router or is there something else going on?

Edit - should say I had local wiring issue which was sorted, new master socket was installed, all local extensions etc. were removed. This improved matters considerably from earlier issues (was getting 16Mbps down and 0.1 Mbps up). Now have router plugged directly into new master socket with nothing else other than phone plugged in. New cabling up to BT line connection on the side of the house. 

Daily issues have been consistent over the last few weeks, before that (after the line was sorted) it was only every few days. I think the longest we managed to go without a reset before that was about 1 week. 

28 REPLIES 28
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Re: Slow fibre - daily router reset required

Hi @colweb77 and welcome to the forums.

I'm sorry for this issues you're having and would like a chance to help you resolve them, the router provided should be fine for normal use.

Are the issues you're having over a wireless or wired connection? if it's wireless can you check the speeds you get with a wired connection? if this improves the situation then we have a handy guide for improving your WiFi here

If that doesn't work can you run these tests, if you need help with the master socket you can find it here

Finally if none of that helps please can you run a BT Speedtest  speedtest.btwholesale.com for me, ensuring you do the further diagnostics test after the first one completes and let us know how you get on?  This stores the results on the supplier system and allows us to use this to report the fault.

Let me know how you get on.

Edit fixed link

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
colweb77
Dabbler

Hi Jonoh, 

it's both ethernet and wireless, all devices. 

I will run the BT Speedtest next time it slows down, all the other things have been tried already. 

When I click your BT Speedtest link it says "unexpected error occurred" - bad link?

JonoH
Hero

I've edited the link, sorry about that!

Run that as soon as possible and we can get the board rolling, however I certainly recommend doing the other checks first as they help rule out any internal wiring/equipment that may be at fault and so reduced the chances of you having to pay for the engineer.

Let me know ho w you get on.

Jono H
colweb77
Dabbler

Hi JonoH, 

thanks for responding. Not sure where this is going to be honest. As I've stated - I've already had the house rewired, the master socket is in my office, the router is plugged directly in to it. The only other thing plugged in is the phone. No filter there, since it's a new master socket it has 2 separate sockets (filter built in). 

The BT Test you have suggested says that I need to reboot the router before I start. As I have said, the issue happens after about 18-24 hours, if I reboot the router, the issue goes away. So if I reboot the router and perform the test, everything will come back as good and working. "no fault found". Seems pointless to me?

Thanks for your help! Smiley

JonoH
Hero

@colweb77 wrote:

Hi JonoH, 

thanks for responding. Not sure where this is going to be honest. As I've stated - I've already had the house rewired, the master socket is in my office, the router is plugged directly in to it. The only other thing plugged in is the phone. No filter there, since it's a new master socket it has 2 separate sockets (filter built in). 

We have to rule it out still like everything new things can still be broken, or fail whilst they're quite new.

The BT Test you have suggested says that I need to reboot the router before I start. As I have said, the issue happens after about 18-24 hours, if I reboot the router, the issue goes away. So if I reboot the router and perform the test, everything will come back as good and working. "no fault found". Seems pointless to me?

next time you have issued don't reset the router when you do the test, we've ran a series of tests our end and everything looks OK.

Jono H
colweb77
Dabbler

@JonoH wrote:

We have to rule it out still like everything new things can still be broken, or fail whilst they're quite new.

I get that but this is an Openreach MK3 master socket. Am I supposed to buy a complete new socket to test if this brand new one is faulty?

next time you have issued don't reset the router when you do the test, we've ran a series of tests our end and everything looks OK.

OK will try the test as soon as it happens again, will likely be later today or tomorrow morning. 

thanks again. 

JonoH
Hero

@colweb77 wrote:

@JonoH wrote:

I get that but this is an Openreach MK3 master socket. Am I supposed to buy a complete new socket to test if this brand new one is faulty?

Well hopefully the tests rule out the internal wiring and the socket, if they don't, and it's the (new) socket It might be that you have to speak to the company you bought it from for a replacement, but let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

Jono H
colweb77
Dabbler

Hi JonoH, 

having issues just now so ran the test and also the diagnostics. "No fault found" according to the tests (and the speeds look OK just now). Now rebooting my router so I can use the internet properly again. 

Cheers. 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

The speedtest you carried out looks actually fine and there's no reported congestion in your area.

We can send you a replacement router to try if that's okay with yourself?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
colweb77
Dabbler

Hi Matthew, willing to try anything at this stage that would be great thanks.
colweb77
Dabbler

Any progress with this? Not heard anything and still having to reboot my router regularly to be able to actually be heard in Skype for Business calls for work. 

Thanks a lot for your help!

colweb77
Dabbler

So, still resetting router daily (or if I forget I have to reset on day 2 when I have issues). 

Spoke to Will over the Plusnet Chat, explained that I have to reset daily and he came back with a fault email that basically tells me to sort out my local wiring and use the test port on the master socket. 

I have had my house re-wired a new master socket installed and all old internal wiring removed, so I would think it's unlikely to be any local wiring. 

The email then goes on to say - raise a fault, be aware if we find an issue on your side that will be 60 quid. No mention of the possibility of getting a new router. 

In my opinion the Plusnet Router is garbage or faulty. Probably garbage since it's based on BT's old router. 

Quite surprised at the [-Censored-] support to be honest. 

Bluejay5
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I admire your patients good friend Smiley

I love hobnobs you can nibble and then take a chunk out of it
Part of life living
colweb77
Dabbler

@Bluejay5 wrote:

I admire your patients good friend Smiley

At this point I think I'll just put the damn thing on a timer and have it power off every night for 15 minutes. Sorted. Cool