cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download with fast upload after fibre upgrade

jwillmott89

Slow download with fast upload after fibre upgrade

Hello,

I upgraded our broadband package to Fibre Extra (76mb) and it was installed on 10th June.

Since then, we have had an average of 9mb download speed, which is worse than it was on the free 17mb connection.

The current speed of our connection is 9.24 down and 18.23 up (speedtest.net).

I read on the forum that it might be something to do with a profile needing to be updated? Also, I'm aware that there is a 10 day period that you should wait, but it has almost been 10 days and we have seen no improvement. The router cannot be plugged into the master socket as there is no available power outlet anywhere near it.

Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Slow download with fast upload after fibre upgrade

Hi @jwillmott89

Welcome to the forums. 

I think that you maybe talking about the Plusnet Line Speed which you can find at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

I believe you will find that is it still set to your ADSL speed especially as the speed test results shows the full Fibre upload speed of 18.23Mbps but with a really slow download speed of 9.24Mbps.

You can get Plusnet to change that speed to its correct value by either phoning them or using Chat to get the "Plusnet Line Speed" set correctly.

Unfortunately this is a common error and easy for Plusnet to fix. Once it has been set to the correct value and you have verified it, then log on to the router, click "Disconnect", wait a minute and then click "Connect" to get the new speeds.

And finally for Fibre broadband there is no 10 day training period, it should be full speed from day one if it is setup correctly by Plusnet and BTW.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

This definitely sounds like a profile issue on our side given your upload is almost hittinf the full 20Mb.

I'm out of the office until Monday so I'll sort it first thing(restart your router at 9am Monday and all should be fine), otherwise if you call out tech team they can bump this up right now for you Smiley
jwillmott89

Thank you for your quick replies. I think I can wait until Monday so that would be great!

Thank you very much.
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Good Morning, 

everything should be corrected now, you'll need to restart your router once for it to pick up the new profile but should get the higher speeds almost immediately following

jwillmott89

Thank you very much. I'll restart when I get home tonight. Cheers!