Did you mean: 

Slow download speeds from Hub One to devices

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: Slow download speeds from Hub One to devices

@alextyman,

Hmm despite the reset going through to update the stuck profile it's still stuck so I'm afraid it's looking like another visit is going to be needed. Can you update your open ticket with some time slots for an appointed visit and then let us know on here so we can get it picked up for you. 

Thanks

alextyman
Dabbler

Sorry for taking a bit of time to reply, been a very busy week or so!

My speeds have now dropped again, my router is showing 31.01Mbps, which is below the minimum guaranteed access line speed of 31.1Mbps, therefore speed tests from my laptop are even lower (as they always are) at around 28-29Mbps.

I understand that speeds are dropped when the router looses connection and is meant to increase speed over time to find a 'happy medium' between speed and reliability, but I have never noticed an increase in speeds automatically, only when the last Engineer came round or I have spoken to you and there has been manual intervention has the speed increased. It seems like the connection is only classed as reliable if it's been connected consistently for 3 or more days, which mine rarely is so it just keeps dropping the speed until I have to contact you again!

Anyway, all the internal wiring is fine as the last Engineer actually moved the master socket to my living room (was in the bedroom) so the router plugs straight into it, so all the wiring is either the recently installed BT wiring/socket or the wire that PlusNet supplied with the router.

I have updated my ticket with more information regarding a potential engineer visit.

Thanks very much.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear that your speeds have dropped again.

We'll get your open fault updated shortly

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
alextyman
Dabbler

Hi,

I've had the Engineer around today (they do actually start at 8am, I thought it was a myth!) He did a load of tests and as expected everything came back fine, he then performed a DLM reset and his tests reported back the connection was 45Mbps and my router is showing about the same. The only thing he changed was the new master socket to one with a built in filter (as opposed to the one I got with the router).

So all this is the same as when the last engineer visited, now I just need to wait for Plus.net's system to update so I actually get those speeds (as Gandalf mentioned in his post at ‎18-10-2018 4:19 PM).

Unfortunatly it doesn't seem like there will be any permanant solution at the moment unless I move my house closer to the cabinet! Once I get the same speed as the router is displaying, I'll keep a close eye on things and see how things progress.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Glad to hear that the sync speeds have improved.

I've just updated the profile on our end and dropped your connection so it's picked up straight away.

Let us know if you're not seeing an increase in download speed after this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
alextyman
Dabbler

Hi,

I checked shortly after you updated the profile on your end and the router was reporting a connection of about 43Mbps and I was getting 41Mbps from speedtest.net.

I tried again this morning and while the router is still saying 43Mbps, speedtest.net is only reporting 27Mbps Sad, restarting the router improved it back up to almost 41Mbps which is much better.

However from what I gather restarting the router frequently will cause the DLM to reduce the speed, which is what I've been experiencing the whole time, however it never improves again.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens over the next few weeks?

Thanks

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @alextyman 

Over zealous rebooting of the router can indeed cause the DLM to kick the line speed down. 

I would please ask you to keep us updated on this over the next few days? 

Thanks, 

MoR