Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download speed on wifi.

robquick
Grafter

Slow download speed on wifi.

Hi,
Getting great speeds when using a cable (77mb and 17mb) however, when I switch to wifi my download speed reduces to 16mb. The speed is irrelevant of distance from the router, I can be a metre away and get the same issue.
Any suggestions or advice ?
Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Slow download speed on wifi.

What are you testing with - Don't trust speedtest results on phones.
Make sure you're using WPA2 encryption on your router and that your testing device isn't 802.11g would be my first thoughts...  Next would be to change wifi channel
tonycollinet
Grafter

Most likely you are being interfered with by neighbors wifi. If you have an android device, download wifi scanner to check for a clear channel, and change to that - channels 1, 6 and 11 are best. To change, you'll need to log into your router to change wifi settings.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
We'd definitely advise trying what tonyAtplus has mentioned as it can help to get the most out of your WiFi connection.
We have a help page which should help if you decide to give that a try: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/wireless_signal.shtml
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
robquick
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for the advice.
I've downloaded the app as suggested, the dBm on channel 6 is around 55. There doesn't appear to be any other interference. I switched to channel 1 to see if there was any improvement, unfortunately there isn't.
Any other suggestions ?
Thanks again.
teabag31
Dabbler

are you using the plusnet supplied router?
what are you using wifi on?
i would replace it with a router with 5ghz wifi something like the bt home hub 4 will be fine thats what i use and its the cheapest option i got mine for £13 delivered off ebay.
16 meg seems slow though could be interference from something you have in the house like timers baby monitors etc the bt home hub 4 on 5 ghz wont suffer from these problems.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: teabag31
...on 5 ghz wont suffer from these problems.

That is only true if the client device supports the 5GHz band.
The OP has not clearly indicated what the wifi device is - does it support n-mode?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

teabag31
Dabbler

well at a guess the op is referring to a laptop or desktop if so if ops pc or laptop doesnt support it like my laptop doesnt just get a duel band wifi adaptor like the tp-link tl-wdn3200 here http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WDN3200-N600-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B007SUYM72.
phones tablets tvs have 5ghz from the last 2 years even the crappy sky wifi connector has it Smiley
robquick
Grafter

Hi,
Yes, I'm using the Plusnet supplied router (at the moment !)
Testing wifi speed on the latest iPad mini.
Is there a better way of testing wifi speed ?
I've just purchased the Asus RTN66U router but not configured it yet.
Thanks.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

What speed does this report - http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/lan/?be=0&l0=4&l1=-1 ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

robquick
Grafter

65mbps
Thanks.