cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download after windows reinstall

zzdpmjpr
Hooked

Slow download after windows reinstall

After reinstalling windows 10 I am getting <4Mbps down and 18Mbps up. My laptop is doing 70Mbps down so not a network problem. I haven't found anything odd so far. Anybody have any suggestions where I should be looking. I am a bit mystified.

Many thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Slow download after windows reinstall

Hi @zzdpmjpr Welcome to the forum.

The chances are that Windows is downloading updates in the background. How long has it been since you completed the reinstall?

zzdpmjpr
Hooked

Thanks but unfortunately no. There is an error message on 1903 install but it is not trying to download it again or anything else.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just out of curiosity, what is the load on the Windows machine as viewed by Task Manager.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @zzdpmjpr,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I've performed a couple of tests over your service and an external fault has been detected, I've now raised this to our suppliers. You can view the faults support ticket here.

Thanks.

zzdpmjpr
Hooked

Mook - Insignificant cpu 2% disk 1%

Mads - Thank you but if there is a line fault I don't understand why it only affects one box. My laptop is getting 70Mbps!

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @zzdpmjpr 

if there is a line fault I don't understand why it only affects one box. My laptop is getting 70Mbps!

That is somewhat strange, but mads' findings are correct - there is an external issue affecting your line (found via a WLR3 test). 

Thanks, 

MoR

zzdpmjpr
Hooked

I did a speed test first thing this morning and and got 21Mbps down and 18Mbps up. (Yesterday 5/18)

I rebooted the router (Hub 6) and got 75/18

I'm happy of course but I wish I had some idea what caused it!. Maybe the line 'adjustment' on Friday will throw something up.

Thanks for the help

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @zzdpmjpr,

Thank you for letting us know that your speed improved after you rebooted the router. This does seem a bit of an unusual issue and hopefully our suppliers will be able to get to the bottom of this when they investigate the external fault.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
zzdpmjpr
Hooked

I can now update what has been going on.

After my last post it reverted to slow and middling speeds.

(Reminder - Desktop attached to Hub6 by cable - slow or middling speeds. Laptop on wifi always 70+Mbps. Upload seems always to be 18 Mbps.)

Engineers found a fault on line and today fixed it. Afterwards Desktop showed 18/18 and laptop 75/18. So no change.

The desktop is running nothing when I test using ookla. I have the latest drivers I believe. The machine is 10 years old but don't think that's a constraint. I don't know where to look now.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @zzdpmjpr

I''ve just tested your line and you're currently getting 79/20.

I'm beginning to point my finger at the desktop since the line looks to be fine and your laptop is receiving the expected speeds.

From a cursory google, the tips I've found all seem to point towards reinstalling/updating your network drivers.

zzdpmjpr
Hooked

Many thanks for your response. Actually I have reinstalled the drivers maybe I'll do it a second time 'just in case'. I have run out of ideas but it a not very important box and I can live with it. I just hate not fixing a problem,

Anyway thanks again for you help.

Jon
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 3

Hi @zzdpmjpr 

You've not mentioned it, but did you try an alternative ethernet cable?

If the cable is fault, it could cause speeds to slow. 

Also, again within task manager, if you click on Performance and then Ethernet, what does this show? (on the desktop)

Thanks Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Jon Smith
 Plusnet Infrastructure Operations Professional