cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow downlink (BUT NOT uplink)

adamsutton2101

Slow downlink (BUT NOT uplink)

All,
Got a very odd problem and just trying to get some possible ideas for experiments. I've already reported a fault so hopefully someone within plusnet will come up with something eventually.
Finally got back to VDSL (moved house and had to downgrade to ADSL). However I'm getting terrible downlink speeds. On ADSL I was getting a pretty paltry 7 down 1 up (just), now with VDSL I'm getting 7 down and 20 up. So clearly something got better! uplink has shot up to around the theoretical, great! But oddly my downlink has stuck resolutely to 6.5-7.0 (I've got speedtest results on my phone from pre/post upgrade, and there all within that range).
Setup is openreach modem (from old house, where I was getting 40/10) connected to TP-link router running openwrt (this handles the PPPoE). I was using a simple ADSL modem in passthru mode, so I didn't change any configuration, simple dropped the openreach VDSL modem in place of the TP-link ADSL one.
Given I've changed nothing my end, and this very same setup was providing 40/10 at my old address I don't have any reason to suppose there is an issue my end. Though I should state I'm running on a crappy extension point (original phone cabling), which I know will have an effect (once things are sorted I intend to run CAT5 from there to my patch panel and into the modem). But I've tried connecting directly to the master socket (I've added BT faceplace with built-in filter) and no change.
Now he's the equally weird thing. I've checked online (and I've spoken to online help and they've confirmed) and Plusnet is reporting line speed as 45Mb (and I checked a few mins ago and it was reporting 78). And I've used another router I have with built-in VDSL to check line stats my end, they roughly correlate. Unfortunately I can't seem to get the PPPoE session to work through the built-in VDSL modem (that's a job for later) so I'm stuck with just the openreach modem.
I find it highly suspicious that my line speed reports something sensible, my uplink speed is very good and yet my downlink is unchanged (not just crap, but "unchanged"). This strikes me as "something" is artificially limiting the overall throughput, and I can't see that anything my end would do that. But I know before the upgrade ADSL line speed reported by plusnet was 7, so could something have actually got stuck and is still capping the overall throughput? despite the DSL link having higher speed?
Anyway I shall keep poking and prodding with things (when the wife allows me too). But I know there's plenty of experts on here that might have some helpful pointers.
Adam
10 REPLIES 10
GreyAreaUK
Dabbler

Re: Slow downlink (BUT NOT uplink)

If you visit:
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
what numbers are you seeing? I suspect your line profile hasn't been updated to reflect the new sync speeds. Seems to happen rather more than it should...
adamsutton2101

That was my first thought and on the first night it was still reporting 7.1Mb, as it had been pre upgrade. So I assumed that was indeed the issue. However it was reporting 45Mb in the morning (I couldn't verify at the time as I was at work and remote access was down). It's currently reporting 78Mbps (I think that's optimistic) but I'm still getting just less than 7Mb actual throughput. I'm testing with speedtest.net but also to some hosted servers I control with good 100Mbps+ internet links.
Everything shows really good uplink and NO change on downlink.
Adam
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you checked after doing a disconnect/connect?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
GreyAreaUK
Dabbler

I'm having a similar (if less extreme) situation myself - stable rate report 53Mbps, router is synching at 55Mbps, but throughput is nailed at 30Mbps.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Is that using a wired or wireless connection to the router?
GreyAreaUK
Dabbler

In my case, wired.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Could you post the result from this test please: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/speedtest2.html
(When it completes scroll down and copy and paste the BBCode (for forums; not supported on thinkbroadband forums) Displaying Graphs code into your post)
adamsutton2101

Not at home right now. But just to answer a few questions.
1. I've tried 2 diff routers, same results, in 2 different locations (extension and direct into master socket).
2. I've only tried the one open reach modem, can't get router to use it's built-in modem (though the actual DSL I'd syncing, something wrong with pppoe routing out that interface). But this modem was used at old house just fine.
3. My testing done wired (using speed test.net and my own code testing to my own hosted servers) phone results are obviously WiFi. But that's not really relevant, I've tested WiFi it's a pretty consistent 50+Mbps (usually more).
My biggest suspicion is the fact the speed is unchanged pre / post upgrade. It sounds to me like it's being throttled at the plus net end, though uplink clearly isn't.
Adam
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Adam,  I'm pretty confident a single disconnect/reconnect will fix your issue.
Your profile on our side changed at 6am yesterday, your current connection started at 10.40pm the night before.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
adamsutton2101

Thanks Chris,
yes that's all sorted now and I've closed the support ticket. Just wish the person I'd spoke to on-line has suggested that. Though I admit, bloody obvious really and I should have realised the session was still up and would probably still be restricted.
speed isn't great at the moment about 40, but we'll see how it goes over the next few days and I'll try connecting directly to the master socket to see how much loss is due to the extension (which I'll eventually replace anyway).
Ta
Adam