Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow desktop via wifi and ethernet

easyqueenie
Hooked

Slow desktop via wifi and ethernet

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with my Windows 7 desktop having consistently low speed. We have around 40mbps coming into the house and connecting via ethernet directly to the router downstairs gives me those speeds so it's not an issue with the service.

The desktop is on the opposite side of the house and can't be moved, it's currently struggling to get above 4mbps, often it doesn't reach 1. It's currently connected to our wifi extender in the same room and giving me 740 kbps. I've bought a new wifi adaptor for it because I know the old one was dropping the connection, but no improvement. I've also been playing around with various wifi channels and switching between 2.4 and 5Ghz to see if anything gave me a better signal, the difference between them isn't more than a few kbps.

Today I moved our wifi extender into the same room as the desktop to test something. I connected our laptop to the extender via ethernet and got around 35mbps, however, when I trailed the cable across the room and plugged the same ethernet cable into the desktop, it still only gets 1.5mbps. I'm assuming that means there's something wrong with the desktop itself but I'm at a loss about what to try now. 

1 REPLY 1
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Slow desktop via wifi and ethernet

Hi @easyqueenie the results of your investigating definitely suggest the desktop is the issue here.

Many things could be causing the speed drop such as your antivirus or the programmes you have running.

It may be worth temporarily disabling the antivirus to see if the issue persists . You could also try running the PC in safe mode.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team