Did you mean: 

Slow broadband

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Re: Slow broadband

Hey @tonee973,

I'm afraid there is nothing further to test this side at the moment, I know it can be a pain but it you monitor the speeds for the next couple of days via Ethernet and let us know how you get on - it'll give us a idea of what the root issue is.

Thanks.

tonee973
Dabbler

Hi

Since the last test everything was running fine, until today morning.At about 6:40 I realized that the speed has dropped down to 0.8-1.5 Mb/sec via the wifi-I turned on and off the router at least 6-7 times, (because it solved the problem last time)-until I was able to get connection.Then I had about 20Mb via ethernet and the same slow speed via wifi.Now I have a bit more then 30Mb via ethernet but I can't get more than 8 throught the wifi.I hope this will be enough to sort out the problem finally, becuase I'm pretty tired of these outages and the fact is that I'm ready to change provider to get what I am paying for-even if I must  switch to an other company.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @tonee973.

I'm sorry to hear you're still having issues with the speeds via WiFi.

We've tested your line and we can't find any issues remotely so the issue is likely to be just with the wireless signal.

It may be worth trying de-syncing the wireless bands to see if the issue is just occurring on one. I've included instructions on how to do this below and I'll also send an image to go along with this so you know what you're looking for.

1) In your browser go to 192.168.1.254.
2) Hit Advanced Settings and enter your Hub admin password when prompted (unless you've changed it, you'll find the default password on the settings card)
3) Continue to Advanced Settings.
4) Tap on Wireless.
5) Choose 5GHz tab.
6) Change 'Sync with 2.4Ghz' to No.
7) Change the name of the 'Wireless SSID'
8) Save the changes.

Let us know how you get on

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
tonee973
Dabbler

Hi

Today morning it went down again to 5 Mbit, I went through the process you advised but after all it was 10 Mbit only.

Then I restarted the router (about 15 times when finally it could get connected)-now it seems to be connected.

I think it was the last drop-if the failure occurs again I will start the switching process and my new provider will contact you about the changes.Have a nice day guys!

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @tonee973

Thanks for letting us know everything is back connected.

Should you need anything further, please feel free to get back to us.

tonee973
Dabbler

HI

As yesterday morning the problem repeatedly occured (and today as well) I started up the switching process with BT. They will contact you with the details.I'm informing you this way if the process finishes I will cancel the direct debit payment towards Plusnet. The expected day of the switching is the 16th of September.Thank you.I hope you will manage solving these kind of problems in the future and this will help you to keep your customers.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @tonee973 

I'm sorry to see you're leaving us because of this problem. It's worth noting that you may simply get the same issue with another provider as the problem doesn't seem to be specifically with us.

Have you tried carrying out the steps that Matt posted to you on the 30th August?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tonee973
Dabbler

Hi 

As I mentioned few posts before I did, and it did not help at all, next morning everything was the same.That's why I decided to leave.I tried everything you advised and I don't like to pay for something what I can't get. We did not change anything:the router is still in our living room (where we use our devices), the same laptops are used here within 5m distance from the router.No Tv or landline phone phone connected.

tonee973
Dabbler

Hi

After a couple of weeks' of normal working today morning the speed went down again.The download is maximum 19Mb and the upload varies in between 16 and 19.I've tested via etehrnet as well and that way everything is fine, on the attached screenshot is visible that the result in the middle is the ethernet connection (36 Mb and 20Mb).As some of the Plusnet experts mentioned the connection via wifi is "my responsibility".How can it be mine if the router is provided by the company, and I am not changing anything? The router is in our living room (at the same place since the first day we received it), and both of the laptops (2) we use are within 4-5m distantance from it.There is nothing what can obstruct the wifi signal.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @tonee973

Wireless performance isn't something we can guarantee due to factors beyond our control, most often within your home or surrounding area.

Effectively, when broadcasting wirelessly, the router is transmitting a signal not unlike a radio tower. Your devices pick up the signal in the same way as your home radio would tune in and listen to the broadcast.

Our homes are usually full of electrical signals that can impact this. Other routers in the surrounding area, electrical devices in your home or close by can all be affecting the signal. Even if you're sat right next to the router with full bars of signal and there's no immediate obstructions, you could be picking up some interference. 

It's for this reason that we can't promise the same level of service over wireless as you get over Ethernet. A closed wired connection isn't affected by this radio interference.

In order to improve how your wireless devices connect, you may need to perform some fine tuning to get the best reception.

If you look back across the guide @MatthewWheeler sent regarding splitting your signal, under the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz settings, you should see the options to change your current channel. This in essence is like tuning in your signal to a different band, hopefully not as easily prone to interference.

It usually comes down to a little trail and error as there are 13 channels to check. I'd recommend spending some time to see which is the best for yourself, ideally giving an hour or two between the channel changes.

tonee973
Dabbler

Hi 

Thank you for getting back to me and giving further advices.Next time if I have slowing I will try to change the channel.Anyway, what is the difference in between the channels?

Regards, tonee973

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @tonee973, thanks for your post.

There's no difference between the channels, in that they're all just different frequencies that the wireless signal is broadcast on.

The issue that can occur is that a certain channel can become congested in your immediate area which causes interference for you. You should be able to see which channels are the least congested by downloading a free wireless analyser app, available form most app stores.