Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband

tonee973
Dabbler

Slow broadband

Hi Guys!

At the end of March I just renewed my existing Unlimited Fibre package (comes through phone line).

When I renewed the contract I had this message from the customer service:

"Your estimated line speed range is from 38 MBPS - 40 MBPS. However this may vary due to the distance from your exchange, quality of your phone line, traffic prioritisation and management policies amongst other factors. "

Since today morning I can't get more than 18Mb/sec of download and 6-7 Mb/sec upload.

Nothing changed, the same router and the same devices connected via Wifi (no landline phone connected at all).

Does anyone has any idea what can cause this problem?

26 REPLIES 26
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Slow broadband

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

Our tests aren't showing any issues with the broadband signal going into your router.

Can you try a wired connection as opposed to WiFi? This will narrow down where the issue may lie.

If your connection is OK that way, then it's likely the issue lies with the wireless signal and I'd recommend trying the steps Here however if you're still having problems using a wired connection, to investigate further please connect your computer/laptop to the router with an ethernet cable and run the BT Speedtester service at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com You must ensure that you have no other programs running at the same time such as streaming, general browsing and the most common one is antivirus programs downloading updates in the background.

Once the initial result is completed please click Further Diagnostics then type your phone number in and click run diagnostic test. This will run a test and send the results to the BT server for investigation. Once you have completed this, please report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net letting us know over here once you've completed it and we'll make sure it is picked up as soon as possible.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tonee973
Dabbler

Hiya

I'm sorry about the late response, I didn't get notification about yours.When I got home at Monday evening I did just a usual Ookla speedtest and everything went back to normal (35-37 Mbit down and around 8 Mbit upload speed).Since then everything is fine.I still have no clue what caused the slowing, everything is just the same just like it was before.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

That's a strange one, @tonee973 but I'm pleased to hear that the performance of your connection is back to what you'd expect.

I'd probably suggest monitoring this over the coming weeks and letting us know via this thread if anything else untoward occurs.

Best wishes

Dave

tonee973
Dabbler

Hi Dave

A couple of minutes ago I realized that it's slow again, so I ran the Ookla test  (sorry, but I can not find the ethernet cable was given with the router, that's why I did not try the BT test) the result was ridiculous less than 5Mb down and 8Mb upload speed.It just behaves like a rollercoaster...

It's a complete mistery to me, anyway I try to find the ethernet cable and run the Bt etst with wired connection.

Regards

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @tonee973

Sorry to hear this - please let us know the results via an ethernet cable when you have the opportunity.

Best wishes

Dave

tonee973
Dabbler

Hi

Yesterday I had 5Mb download speed again, (and finally I bought an ethernet cable, because I was curious to do the BT test in this case)-so i switched to wired mode and run the BT-the result was normal in between 32-37Mb.I still do not know what is the problem...

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @ tonee973,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm pleased to hear your connecting via Ethernet showed the speeds were as expected. I can't say what would have caused the issue you were experiencing as there's nothing to test if this is the case however please continue monitoring the connection and let us know if you experience any further issues.

Thanks - LF

tonee973
Dabbler

Hi

I'm suffering again with the slow broadband.My download speed is not willing to go higher than 18Mb.Altought I paid the line rental for 12 months (and renewed the contract for 12 months too) I seriously started to think about leaaving Plusnet and find an other more reliable provider.It's a bit ridiculous than I can't get what I'm paying for.

tonee973
Dabbler

Update:switching the router off / on solved the problem - the speed went back to normal, but I'm still curious what causes the problem?

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @tonee973, thanks for your post.

We're sorry to hear of your intermittent slow speed issue but are glad to hear that it's now resolved.

Can you confirm how often it's happening? Does it occur at similar times in the day each time, or is there no pattern that you can see?

tonee973
Dabbler

HI

Usually we use the laptops in between 6.00 a.m. and 9.a.m. and after 6 p.m. til 10 p.m.-before and after our working hours. So I can check the speed in these time windows.Nowadays I usually found the slow speed in the evening hours, but after the yesterday evening's case I checked it today morning and it was still slow, that's why I turned the router off.Unfortunately I can't find any pattern.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for getting back to us, I'd check the speeds over ethernet during those times for the next 2 or 3 days if you can. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
tonee973
Dabbler

Approx 20 minutes ago it went down 2.8 Mb/sec via wifi.When I tested it (2 minutes later-I had to find the cable) via ethernet it went back to approx 34.It behaves like a rollercoaster.Is there any chance that Plusnet wil be able to sort it out? I have better things to do then check it all the time-I just would like to get what I'm paying for-it seems that it's too much.