cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow WiFi, fast ethernet, please help!

TLBarrett

Slow WiFi, fast ethernet, please help!

Hello, I'd be extremely grateful for any help -
Our WiFi is VERY temperamental and inconsistent. I can run two speed tests within a minute of each other, one will return around 40mbps and a moment later 0.2mbps download. Upload is always a consistent 15mbps. Ethernet we receive a consistent 50mbps so I am confident the issue is with the WiFi.
I've raised this with plusnet but feel we are close to exhausting all options. We've had an engineer out who can't find any issues, he also replaced our master socket. We've tried a new router, changing the channel, disconnecting all devices. Also tried switching off anything that may be causing interference, microwave, baby monitor etc and this makes no difference.
WiFi extenders have been suggested but we only have a small house and are always within 10 meters of the router so not sure this will help.
The engineer suggested it may be the materials the house is made of weakening the signal, but wouldn't the speeds always be slow rather than up and down?
It's so frustrating, the majority of the time the internet is unusable. Please help before I throw the router out the window!!!
10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Slow WiFi, fast ethernet, please help!

Welcome to the forums @TLBarrett Hopefully other, more technically savvy, members will respond as well as me, but to be honest, Wi-Fi performance has so many variables, that it close to impossible to track down the cause. Just a couple of questions to start - Which routers have you tried, are they plugged into the phone master socket (which type), and how old is your home?

John
TLBarrett

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEU35691822
Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 54.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 12.8 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 477.6
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-01-09T15:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 54.0 Mbps 54.0 Mbps 54.0 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 12.7 Mbps 12.7 Mbps 12.7 Mbps
Up Time 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec
Retrains 0.0 0.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2021-01-12T09:34:25.899+00:00 2021-01-12T09:49:25.899+00:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 3
Egress Code Violation 0 5
Errored Seconds 5 3
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0
Estimated Download Speed: 53 - 72Mb
Estimated Upload Speed: 16 - 18Mb
Your Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 48.9Mb
TLBarrett

Thanks John. I've only used the Plusnet Hub One routers, I've only recently discovered I can use other routers so will look into this! Not sure what you mean by which type of master socket - sorry - but I don't think the issue is there, as the engineer replaced it when he visited a couple of weeks ago. The house was built in the 60s.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

D/load a free wifi analyser programme, then check which channels are least used in your vicinity.
Use those not showing neighbour use; additionally ensure the SSID's for the 2 frequencies 2.4 /5 ghz are given different names on your router.
Ensure router not near a source of wifi interference, such as Nest/Hive heating controllers etc etc.
That may help.
jab1
Legend

OK. Hadn't seen your GEA test until this morning, and that, as far as I can interpret it, says there is nothing wrong with the connection - as I expected when you say your ethernet connection returns a constant high speed, so the problem IS the Wi-Fi aspect.

The question re master socket was probably badly phrased, but I am assuming from your comment about the engineer that you have a Master Socket 5C with a Mk4 faceplate - largely irrelevant, given those test results, but it is a standard question.

If the house was built in the 60's, do you know what type of insulation you have - it's not foil-backed by any chance?

You say 'always within 10m of the router' - that is a reasonably long distance, especially if any of your equipment works on the 5Ghz band. I have an older, more efficient ADSL router, but even that loses connection with my iPad at about 12m.

By all means, try a different router - for a cheap(ish) option, the BT HH6 is available (in reducing numbers) on eBay.

John
ecrTech
Grafter

Hi there are two things to keep in mind, 1- WIFI connection (dual-band 2.4GHz & 5GHz) if your device supports 5GHz you should receive your full speed and if not than half. 2-distance from your hub it affects a lot on 5GHz not so much on 2.4GHz

jab1
Legend

@ecrTech Don't understand your first comment, point 2 is valid, but not applicable in this case I don't think, unless the OP has devices which use the 5GHz band, which usually means very modern equipment, but we don't know if they have it.

John
ecrTech
Grafter

most devises support only 2.4GHz so they will give you half of 5GHz speed.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Absolute nonsense. 

In theory the poster should see full speeds with wifi whatever the band, your comment is factually incorrect and confusing. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jab1
Legend

Thanks, @dvorak , I was just typing that. 😁

John