Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Uplink Speed

Marklichfield
Hooked

Slow Uplink Speed

Hi,

I have PlusNet both in my flat in London, and in my main house in the country. 

The country place has Fibre (just) and I get a about 10 Mb down, but only 0.4 up. 

The town place is (ironically) not in a Fibre enabled area, so I just have a regular ADSL+ connection there, and I also get about 10 Mb down and 0.4 up.

In both cases, 0.4 up seems to be a ridiculously low number, and I would really like to get a bit more - especially if have to copy data between the two places.  I have had the lines checked, but there seems to be nothing PlusNet can do to change the ratio between uplink and downlink.

Can anybody tell me if this ratio is typical or is it just the way PlusNet has things set up ?

I have always been happy with PlusNet, but am considering trying another provider if they can give me a better uplink speed (obviously I realise I would have to sacrifice a  bit of my downlink speed).

I have also posted this in the regular broadband section as it affects both my Fibre and my ADSL2+ connections.

Cheers - Mark

5 REPLIES 5
etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Slow Uplink Speed

Sadly not much can be done about upload ratio on fibre, however 0.4mb upload on adsl tells me you are capped. Plusnet normally cap at 448kbps, you can always give them a call or visit live chat and ask for them to remove the upload cap on adsl.

What does BT checker state you should get for fibre, speed wise
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
Marklichfield
Hooked

Thanks for the reply.  I'll try asking PlusNet to uncap the ADSL.

Which line checker do you mean? I vaguely remember seeing something an Openreach engineer showed me that suggested about 18Mb theoretical maximum, and he seemed to think that the 10Mb I am actually getting was pretty good.

etdsaunders
Pro

Hello,

Stick you're telephone number into ADSL Checker  make sure it's the fibre number. Post the following details (see example)

FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 76.2 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 59.2 20 17.6 --

Available

This will give us some idea on what speeds you should expect on fibre, both upload and download

Thanks

Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
Marklichfield
Hooked

OK - it reports:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High Low High Low    
FTTC Range A (Clean) 15 8.8 1.2 0.8 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 12.2 3.8 1.2 0.5 -- Available

So the down link is within expectations, but the up link is below even the lowest expected result.

Does anybody else have such a poor ratio ?

etdsaunders
Pro

I'm assuming these tests are done via Ethernet, If you are getting below expected speeds i'd consider raising a Fault and let Plusnet investigate it.

Hope this helps Thumbs_Up

Raspberry Pi enthusiast!