cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Super Fibre

arpswetman
Dabbler

Slow Super Fibre

Is anyone else having issues with slow 76mb super fibre, in the Corby area. I'm 0.44 miles from the exchange. I've just joined after over 10yrs with Sky and can only get 42mb wireless and 43mb wired?

31 REPLIES 31
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Slow Super Fibre

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear you're having speed issues.

Testing your line is showing your router is in sync at...

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 45.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 12.5 Mbps

...which is below your estimated speed...

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 61.7 20 18.7

I'm not identifying the cause of the slow speeds. I'd recommend going through the checks here and if that doesn't help then we'll need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further.

Let us know how you get on.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
arpswetman
Dabbler

All the tests were done before I posted on the forum. I had issues with Sky a few years ago and it's a standard format. Sorry still no luck
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Just to confirm that you are plugged in to the master socket at the moment without any extension leads in use?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
arpswetman
Dabbler

Yes, I've had it in the main socket all day, just put it back to its normal place now
arpswetman
Dabbler

Are you sure the engineer put the 76mbs super fibre to our house, when we went to fibre with Sky the BT engineer gave our fibre broadband to another address. He admitted this to us at the time.

We also had a similar issue when we were with Sky and it turned out to be a faulty router.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Where's the normal place? Is that not the master socket as we would advise having the router plugged in there at all time as any extension sockets are not supported. It's likely we'll need to send an engineer as part of a fault investigation and if they found the router was plugged in to an extension socket and that was the cause of the issue, a callout fee of £65 would be chargeable.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
arpswetman
Dabbler

Like I said there is no extension lead when you tested it twice just very poor speed. Last time the BT engineer had not connected it right and we were with Sky for 3 years, the reason you got my business was price alone and now I'm not getting my speed
arpswetman
Dabbler

The normal place is round the back of the TV when the children visit
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Is there any chance you can upload a photo showing the places you've had the router connected?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
arpswetman
Dabbler

The is where I have my router and this is where it is when you run the tests. Once a week/fortnight I have to move it to stop a two year old getting their hands on it. As you can see, its plugged into the main socket.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for the photo.

In that case I'd recommend raising a fault here so we can look into this further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
arpswetman
Dabbler

The engineer has been out and there was no extension cable fitted to the socket, he said there was an issue with the wiring so he fitted a new socket and now I'm up to 57mbs he said it would take a while to stabilise so thanks for your help. Let's see if it goes up to the 60s which is what I would expect
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Glad to hear it.

Let us know how you get on.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
arpswetman
Dabbler

This is a letter I've just received form you.

If my current line speed is 78mps then I'm loosing 20mbs, as my current speed in house is 57/58mbs. As for the minimum 49mbs this is the first time I have seen this, if I had then I probably would not have switched to you. I would expect at least 65 out of 78 as I'm not far away from my exchange. Perhaps it will get better as the line settles but I'm still feeling like I'm not getting what I would expect from such a high line speed.

I think that before people sign up them they should be made fully aware of what people are getting in their area.

78mbs is a great selling point but customers will feel really let down if like me they are 20mbs short of this.

I will monitor mine and hope it improves over time

Hello Andrew,

Account Username: [removed]

When you signed up for Plusnet Broadband, we gave you an estimated line speed range. Now that your broadband has been up and running for 14 days, we wanted to let you know your line speed as it stands today, as a comparison.

Estimated line speed: 55Mbps to 72.7Mbps
This shows the normally available speeds your line is capable of. You may have chosen to buy a product which runs at slower speeds.
Current line speed: 78Mbps
This is a measure of the actual line speed you are now receiving based on the product you have taken.
Minimum guaranteed access line speed: 49Mbps
This is the minimum speed you should expect to achieve on your line.

Line speed is dependant on:

How near you live to the exchange

The length and quality of the telephone line to your home (this can be affected by poor weather as well)

Other factors which can affect your speed:

The time of day. In other words how busy our network and the Internet are (8-10pm being the busiest time, when speeds can reduce significantly)

The length and quality of any phone wiring extensions in your home

Whether you're sharing your connection with other people or devices in your home

Take a look at the tips in our broadband speed guide to get the most out of your connection.

Best wishes,

The Plusnet Team
www.plus.net

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from a public forum to a private staff area.