cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speeds in the Evenings on 40/10

veL
Dabbler

Slow Speeds in the Evenings on 40/10

Routinely between 7-11pm I get 1/3 of the performance I should be getting + high latency.

BT wholesale speed test says the connection is fine, faults team says the connection is fine yet the difference in performance is like night and day. Sometimes I cant even watch a 720p vid on youtube...

My setup hasnt been changed for a long time, only the speeds were increased in the area from 40/2 to 40/10, since then Ive had this problem. If I run speed tests, I only have my computer wired in thats it.

Been about a month and a half now. Getting pretty fed up. I dont have any other option but to use Plusnet/BT services in my area. I cant imagine switching providers would change anything as I think the issue is most likely to do with BT? Normally I would just jump boat to Virgin, but I cant.

I attached some speed tests from speedtest.net showing what I get. Funnily enough, BT Wholesale speed test shows everything to be perfect at any time which I know simply isnt the case at all. It feels worse than my old ADSL connection at times.

Is there anything else I can do to help my case? The faults team says the only option left is to get an engineer out which they say has a 90% chance of myself paying for, which I obviously dont want to do but at the same time Im 100% sure it isnt anything to do with my equipment.

25 REPLIES 25
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Slow Speeds in the Evenings on 40/10

Hi there @veL

I have tested the line and this has detected a possible external fault. I have raised this to the suppliers for further investigation and have updated your Fault Ticket.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
veL
Dabbler

Thanks for the fast reply Lauren! 

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@veL  You may like to review this thread  and others with similar problems which are being actively discussed in the SU forum.

@LaurenB  It may be useful to catch up with @Gandalf on progress on this hot issue and add your input to the discussions. Azn

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

veL
Dabbler

Ok thanks MauriceC, Im glad im not the only one with this issue.

FYI, anyone with this same issue as me, I recommend using this forum instead of contacting support via phone or opening a ticket yourself. I got nowhere doing it that way and all they said is that everything was fine for almost 2 months now. On here I got a response and acknowledgement of the problem almost immediately and hopefully a real fix is on its way!

+1 to the forum team!

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@veL Can you PM me your username so we can look into this further?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
veL
Dabbler

veL
Dabbler

Faults team contacted me saying the issue is resolved but it most definitely isnt. The BT phone engineer came by and said everything was fine phone line wise and that I need the broadband team to take a look. I dont think the faults team really know whats going on with me or the other people that have the exact same issues? Seems like only you guys really know whats up.

Speeds are still as tragic as always, right now im getting 7-8mbs and 60ms latency to any british server, but it somehow feels worse. Right now I can only watch a youtube video at 480p as anything higher is constantly buffering. Anything more heavy duty is just impossible. Even loading this site to get here took a few minutes...

@MauriceC @LaurenB @MatthewWheeler @Gandalf

Bluejay5
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Nicely said 

I love hobnobs you can nibble and then take a chunk out of it
Part of life living
veL
Dabbler

Seems like you and me are in the same boat @Bluejay5 ! Just checked your thread, pretty much the same drop off from 38mbs to 12 or lower. I would imagine your speed tests look the same as mine.

Bluejay5
Aspiring Pro

Yes but the good new with the new router the third its not dropped off since 2 days ago its just the frustrating low speeds but they are looking to find the cause

Part of life living
veL
Dabbler

Thats good to hear, feels like im a little behind you in terms of getting this resolved. Just tested my speeds on the same server as the one you used today from your thread.

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6936727040.png

Unreal how similar our speeds are on the same lines, glad im not alone here.

Bluejay5
Aspiring Pro

Same as ours.

Hope they get it sorted soon

Part of life living
veL
Dabbler

Any updates to our situations would be appreciated forum team!

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

There are investigations underway into what is causing these evening throughput degradations for some users.  In one or two cases the 'Fix' was to swap the assigned SVLAN, but not sufficient evidence yet that this is going to be the fix for all users.

Rest assured work is underway to identify a more generally applicable solution.  Give the guys doing the work a few days please.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.