Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speed on fibre

GR4CE
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Slow Speed on fibre

I have Unlimited Fibre Extra, speed should be a lot higher than this. Response time loading any website is horrendous and it's been like this for the past couple of weeks. 
Restarting the laptops or the router doesn't make any difference. We haven't changed any settings on either. Everything seems to be fine and suddenly it drops to unusable speeds for quite a while.

This test below was with an ethernet cable directly to the router. Tests on wifi were a tiny bit better.
Anyway, the best ping we get is around 180ms 

7342549812[1].png

Is there anything you can check at your end, please?

6 REPLIES 6
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Slow Speed on fibre

You need to run through the checks at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and report a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults It takes a bit of your time and costs you nothing, but makes Plusnet aware of your issue, they have to look at it, and gets the issue into the queue for action. Plusnet have said that they have a backlog of faults at the moment so you need to get into the queue. Particularly as this is a bank holiday weekend and it is unclear whether anyone from Plusnet will appear in the Forum. 

Do please let us know how you get on..

GR4CE
Rising Star

Thanks, I'll get onto the checks. I was hoping it was something already known or general 😊
GR4CE
Rising Star

I need to do more tests and check the timing, but we've noticed Google Backup app was working in the background and it might have caused the intermittent slowdowns when uploading huge video files. 

We had completely forgotten it was installed! Roll_eyes

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Our tests aren't showing any caused for this.

Let us know how you get on after retesting it without the Google Backup running.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
GR4CE
Rising Star

Thanks, Matthew.

Well, it seems it was the backup, or more specifically, the kind of big files it was backing up (mp4 videos) Roll_eyes  
So for now, speeds are back to normal.

Anyway, my son mentioned some connection drops on online gaming while other services were working fine (music, video...).
He checked with the gaming server and it was fine at their end but reported "packet loss" and to contact the ISP. 
I'm not sure how some things could work and others not, but maybe they are routed differently.

I'll tell him to start a new thread with the details because I have no idea what I'm talking about!

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Glad to hear it!

Let us know if you any issues in the future.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team