cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speed after switching routers

arlilly

Slow Speed after switching routers

So I have been signed up to plusnet for about 2 months now, previously i was supplied by John Lewis.

On transfer day my router supplied by John Lewis was still working as normal so I left it installed and I was receiving around a 72 meg connection so it wasn't a problem. Then one day about 3 - 4 weeks ago it suddenly stopped working after having a power cut so I thought it was a good time to fit the plusnet router, new router plugged in exact same setup as the old router , same socket same adsl filter, just new lead and new psu. My speed suddenly fell to around a 42meg connection (as stated on plusnets website), changed the adsl filter to the new filter and no change, since then the speed has dropped and I am now getting a 36meg connection, 

• Estimated Download Range: 50 - 68Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 10 - 16Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 44.5Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 36.4Mbps

Anyone one have any ideas as to how to improve my connection speed as I fell this is totally unaceptable.

Mand thanks

Andy

5 REPLIES 5
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Slow Speed after switching routers

@arlilly  Unfortunately the figures you have posted tell us nothing about your actual speed, they are all estimates apart from the misnamed Current Line Speed which is not a speed at all but an internal Plusnet  profile which tracks the BT wholesale IP profile based on your sync speed. That is what is relevant, assuming you have a Hub 1 router you can log in and access the information from I think the "Help Desk Tab" or Diagnostics, not too sure because I don't use a Hub 1.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@arlilly says: new router plugged in exact same setup as the old router , same socket same adsl filter

Why have an ADSL filter when these speeds are obviously with a fibre (VDSL) connection? If you are happy with the John Lewis router, then why not continue using it if it works? The Plusnet Hub One is cheap and (fairly) cheerful, many of us spend £5 -- £15 on a BT Home Hub 6 readily available on ebay and Gumtree, very good instructions on setup elsewhere on this forum.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

If you are happy with the John Lewis router, then why not continue using it if it works?

The JL router is likely a Zyxel 3925 , in which case it will work fine on Plusnet. Just change the broadband username and password to your new PlusNet ones.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

arlilly

This is from the event log of the router
03:00:06, 22 Jul. (273748.700000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=37617Kbps, Up Rate=8247Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.0dB, Up=6.3dB
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @arlilly

Thanks a lot for reaching out, and I'm really sorry to hear about the issues you're having with the download speeds. I've run some tests on my end as well which appear to show that the line is operating below your Minimum Guaranteed Speed, it's syncing at 37.6 Mbps.

Saying that, our tests have picked up on a Bridge Tap, which often means there's a defect in the internal cabling / sockets within the property. Moving forward, if the only thing you've recently changed is the router itself, it may be likely that the DSL port / the router itself is faulty. As it's still in warranty, I've just ordered a new one to be sent out to you, which is going to be arriving within the next 2-5 working days.

While you wait for that, please also head over to our Troubleshooting page and follow the steps on there to see if you're able to identify and resolve any internal issues. you'll found this here.

As your line is currently operating below your Minimum Guaranteed Speed, I've raised a fault ticket on your account, our Technical Support Team will continue to monitor this and will be in touch should they need to. You'll be able to view, and comment on this ticket here. I'll also pop my KBD results on this post for you.

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 37.6 Mbps
Upstream Speed 8.2 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 655.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-07-09T15:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 37.7 Mbps 44.0 Mbps 40.0 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 8.2 Mbps 15.6 Mbps 11.8 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 898.2 Sec
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds