cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow, Slow, Slow, particularly evenings and weekends

superuser
Grafter

Slow, Slow, Slow, particularly evenings and weekends

I am reporting what I feel must be congestion as a result of over subscription (whatever you want to call it)

Basically, as I see it, poor 1990's BT underground phone lines, now trying to support hundreds of customers all wanting fibre broadband.

It's 5am right now and my connection is fine, nice 

But come later on today and this evening, it will just time out. The router is connected! But as I see it there must just be too much traffic.

What the "?" can you do?

10 REPLIES 10
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Slow, Slow, Slow, particularly evenings and weekends

You need to report a fault and follow the PN faults process.

You may find it tedious and inconvenient  but the process has been developed to avoid  openreach charges, which would be passed on to the customer.

The first step is to check that the problem is not at your premises. Any faults at your premises that are "router side" of the BT master socket are chargeable etc

These comon issues have to be ruled out to process the fault.

Http://faults.plus.net

In your case I suspect that your circuit is routed via what is termed a " hot" Virtual Pipe (VP). An overloaded backhaul link from your local exchange to PNs data centres.

Start the faults process and report the progress here.

Good luck

Richard

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

First thing is to disconnect everything else, such as extensions and other things plugged in. Phones, Sky boxes, etc.
That rules out something else being connected is causing a problem.

Then test from the master socket, or even the test socket. If you notice no difference, then you've done all you can to confirm the problem is not within your property.

Yes a bit of messing around, but worth it in the end to avoid being charged otherwise.

norush
Grafter

I'm in the same boat as the OP; just assumed it was contention at the exchange and nothing could be done about it, or is that not the case?

superuser
Grafter

I have started the process, I think.

I wanted to add that we have had faults out to the premises over the last few weeks. No issues in the house have been found. In fact we have a brand new master socket, just installed, this was because the line arriving at the house, we presume from when it was originally installed, had a connection to the line running into the house, that was wrapped in a plastic carrier bag. Yes, it was soaking wet! OpenReach sorted it and put a new line in the house too with Master Socket.

The engineers have commented on the poor infrastructure underground back to the CAB.

Yesterday I connected telephone to our socket for the first time and there is a rather odd pulsing dial tone

Truth be known, I suspect the whole area has issues and probably needs a complete renewal, but no one that matters is going to say that.

Just how we expect to get decent internet from lines never designed for it, and laid in such a poor fashion, I don't know.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

@superuser wrote:

I have started the process, I think.

I wanted to add that we have had faults out to the premises over the last few weeks. No issues in the house have been found. In fact we have a brand new master socket, just installed, this was because the line arriving at the house, we presume from when it was originally installed, had a connection to the line running into the house, that was wrapped in a plastic carrier bag. Yes, it was soaking wet! OpenReach sorted it and put a new line in the house too with Master Socket.

The engineers have commented on the poor infrastructure underground back to the CAB.

OK if you have an open fault ticket & OpenReach have already been out, then the next step is to use the BT wholesale speed tester.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Follow the instructions, especially about not using WiFi and ensuring that no other devices are using the internet. It maybe best to temporarily kill the outers WiFI signal during the test.

The results are accessible to PN & BT Wholesale.

After undertaking the speed test there is an option for further diagnostics. click that & let things complete. It will then show the IP profiles for your line. Take screen shots of that page and post the results here (removing your phone number) an add them to your Open ticket.

I would do it twice, once when you know you will get a good result and again when you know you will get bad result.

Regards

Richard

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

superuser wrote:Yesterday I connected telephone to our socket for the first time and there is a rather odd pulsing dial tone

I forgot, that is probably the Plus Net "answer machine"/Voice mail saying your have a message...

https://www.plus.net/help/phone/call-features/

Click on "How do I use call features"

see Voicemail & VoiceMail Extra.

Richard

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry hear you're having issues.

Our tests aren't finding any problems and there are no reports of congestion in your exchange.

As you've been advised already the next step would be to run a speedtest at speedtest.btwholesale.com

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
superuser
Grafter

This test is from 5.20 am 

See images

I should say I have swapped out the PN router for a Asus DSL-AC68U

And it has been way way better

headonastick
Dabbler

Just done a speedtest, 2.23mbps, loving Plusnet at weekends!!!

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I have a similar issue.

I notice a couple of times a week that my security cameras will briefly disconnect in the evenings and sometimes at weekends.

When I check my ThinkBroadBand ping check, yep, there they are, failed pings.

With all this NetFlix and the like with people streaming in the evenings I guess the OP was right in that the system is starting to creak.

Let's be careful out there !