Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Modem Sync Speeds

FIXED
s88urd
Dabbler

Slow Modem Sync Speeds

Recently had a house move which didn't go too smoothly to be honest, in the old property I was getting a Modem sync speed of 74MB down and around 20MB up. The house move completed yesterday and my modem sync speed is only 45MB down and 5MB up. I am literally just down the road from my old property and I am quoted to be receiving 55-76MB down but I am not even getting the minimum. After speaking to support last night they first of all advised that I was on ADSL, then they advised I was not even part of their network, they then ran a line test which came back with no issues so they finally advised me to wait 10 days for the training period to complete, however I have read a lot of articles which advised this is not true. Can anyone enlighten me as to if the training period for FTTC is actually a 'real thing' or if I should call back and ask them to investigate further?
Just for information my new house doesn't have a faceplate filter so I am using a microfilter.

18 REPLIES 18
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Slow Modem Sync Speeds

Hi @s88urd

Welcome to the forums.

As you are on FTTC, there is definitely and absolutely not a 10 day training period. That is an ADSL thing only. Unfortunately this is not the first time that the telephone support staff have made this incorrect statement but nothing seems to change. 

FTTC is at full speed from day zero and is automatically checked by the cabinet to which your line is corrected. It is then normally adjusted down to enable a stable speed to be maintained if necessary. Rarely does it do the reverse although it has happened.

Are you testing the speed from a cable to the router or using WiFI? If WiFi then please retest using a cable.

Are you using the BTW speedtest at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/  , just click Yes for the test to run. When the speed test completed just click the "Further Diagnostics" button and then enter your phone number on the next page only.  Then click "Run Diagnostic Test". Do not change anything on the router. This will display your BTW IP Profile details.

Also what speed does the Plusnet Line speed show at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

If you could post those details here (missing any identifying information) then that will help people to offer further advice.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
s88urd
Dabbler

Many thanks for your response, the speeds I am getting are being reported on the modem itself, so I am not running a speed check as such I am just looking at what the modem is syncing to the network at.

Phone exchange:KETTERING

Estimated line speed:80Mb (This may vary between 72.6Mb and 80Mb) - Checked on 2016-04-19 13:16:00

Current line speed:46 Mb

I have noticed they still have my old phone number when it gave me that info *facepalm*

When im back at home ill run the tests you mention, many thanks for your time/response Smiley

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

You should be getting a higher sync speed according to the estimates:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

VDSL Range A (Clean) 74.7 58.2 20 16.9

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 46.5 Mbps
Upstream Speed 5.4 Mbps

Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

The 10 day training period you've been advised is incorrect, I'll pass feedback on about that.

I'd advise getting a fault report opened at https://faults.plus.net

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
s88urd
Dabbler

Looks like its sorted now. Despite me asking yesterday for my package *ahem* to be checked the guy I just spoke to advised I wasn't put on the fibre extra package.
Many thanks for the replies
s88urd
Dabbler

Unfortunately still not fixed Sad I have been sent a replacement router as mime was rebooting itself, however its still only syncing at 55MB. The link posted earlier says my current line speed is 78MB and I spoke to support who advised my profile is 'wide open'

Phone exchange:
KETTERING
Estimated line speed:
80Mb (This may vary between 72.6Mb and 80Mb) - Checked on 2016-04-19 13:16:00
Current line speed:
78 Mb

Is it any coincidence that BT have updated their infinity 1 to 52MB and im syncing at around that speed? It may have nothing to do with it but im just trying to figure out what could be causing the issue.

A BT engineer is due out on Friday but I'm not really sure what they will be able to do. I really don't want to leave plusnet but I have a feeling I will be if I can't get the speed I'm paying for and have been quoted.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I can see there's an engineer booked for tomorrow to investigate this further, hopefully they get to the bottom of your issues and can get this sorted for you.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
s88urd
Dabbler

I hope so Chris, Im really not sure what it could be.

The hub one is connected directly to the master socket through a VDSL MK3 filtered face plate.
The master socket is connected directly to the BT drop cable and so it goes straight from the drop cable to the master socket to the router effectively.
I dont know why but i keep thinking maybe ive been connected to the BT FTTC service which gives 55Down and 10up because this is what im syncing at, or if there is any kind of cap on at the exchange. Saying that im no expert so im relying on what you guys tell me and what the engineer says tomorrow (I just dont want to end up being charged if the engineer says there is no fault)

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Your definitely on the 80/20 service as your profile is "0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off"

It could be a fault on the line.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Zoidster
Grafter

I'm in a similar boat!  

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/New-Fibre-connection-is-this-normal/m-p/1341143/highli...

I must admit I too am wondering if its co-incidence that I am maxing out at the same speed as the BT "slow" fibre,  its been suggested that a noisy line or interference could be my problem, but the phone line itself is crystal clear, and I never had any problem or loss with my old sky 38mb connection (consistent 36mb), and the cabinet is just around the corner.  

s88urd
Dabbler

It is really strange as iv not once synced higher than say 58/59mb, that's not a speed test that's the speed the modem is syncing to the exchange at. I've been with plusnet for over 3 years so my decision to move to an alternative supplier won't be an easy decision, but I was estimated at least 72mb before I started the house move and I wouldn't of gone through with it if I knew I'd get 55mb
s88urd
Dabbler

I have just ran an extended BTW test and it says the ip profile for my line is 55.37Mbps.....not sure whats going on

s88urd
Dabbler

BT have just been out and replaced some equipment. Apparently it was only leaving the Cab at about 60mbps. Will check how things are when i get home.

Thanks for all the responses guys

Zoidster
Grafter

Thats great to hear that you've got it sorted (Hopefully!)   

Can I ask how you got BT to come out and establish this?  

s88urd
Dabbler

I logged the call with Plusnet support and just advised of the issue I was having, i.e. the sync speed not being what it was quoted to be.

They then arranged for the engineer to visit me. Once the engineer arrived I explained what was happening and at first he wasnt too convinced that there was a problem. After showing him the BTW broadband checker page and him testing the line (all came back fine) he went to check what speed the data was being sent from the Cabinet at, this is where he found the problem to be so some (not sure what) equipment was replaced. I had to get back to work while he was still working at the cab so ill see what sort of sync speeds im getting when i get back Smiley