Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow LAN transfer speeds after HubOne firmware upgrade

bartstope
Grafter

Slow LAN transfer speeds after HubOne firmware upgrade

Hello everyone,

is it just me, but since my Plusnet Hub One upgraded to the latest firmware recently

6 REPLIES 6
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Slow LAN transfer speeds after HubOne firmware upgrade

Can you explain some specific scenarios during which you've noticed this, so we can look to try replicating?

Regarding the storage access using the USB drive, you might want to be mindful of this. MS dissuades the use of SMB1 these days, which is what the USB flash drive is likely using.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bartstope
Grafter

Hello Bob,

Thanks for the reply.

So, since I've had my HubOne I've had a cheap 8GB memory stick stuck in one of the USB ports which I use to transfer files between virtual machines (I develop software and use the various VMs on my development PC to test in different environments and configurations - using the USB drive shared by the router is a neat little way to drag and drop files that I can access from anywhere on my network) - and this has always worked well, it's never been quick but since I'm only transferring files that are a few MBs, it's fine.

At about the same time I had the fw update on my router, I suddenly noticed the transfer rate copying to USB went down to about 22k a sec, eventually stalling and giving up and hanging at 0kb freezing Windows Explorer until you kill the window.

Thought it was the USB stick which had died. Tried another. Same. Tried another. Same. (both different brands which work perfectly in my PC)

Both my development  PCs are connected via ethernet cable to the router, my printer (which I'll come to in a moment) is connected via wifi. 

To try and get around the USB speed problem I set up a Windows share on my other development PC (remember also connected via ethernet, one running Windows 10, the other running Windows 7) so I could drag and drop in different way... same problem. painfully slow and eventually gives up.

Now... here's the thing:

all of this works perfectly as previously if I disconnect my PC from wired ethernet and connect everything via Wifi.

I have the same problem with my printer. If I print to it from a device connected directly to the router via a cable, it just times out. If I disconnect the ethernet and connect via Wifi, it works perfectly - and to confirm the print jobs are going via the router, the printer (a Canon Pixma) is connected to the wifi network and I'm not printing using any direct Wifi set up.

Tried different cables, moving the ports around, no difference.

Tried rebooting a couple of times.

Thing is, after a reboot, it sort of works, it will usually transfer a few MB of files to the USB at normal speed (say about 800k a sec), and then when I try again a few minutes later to copy another file, the same problem.

It's very weird.

Any ideas?

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Posts released from Spam Filter and duplicate removed.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

So, according to your latest PM, downgrading the firmware has not helped, which suggests this might not be specific to the recently pushed update.

I know you mentioned resetting in your opening post, but have you tried factory resetting the device using the pinhole at the back of the unit? You'd need to insert something into the reset hole until the status light flashes green.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bartstope
Grafter

I've reset the router by pressing the button on the back, it's made no difference i'm afraid.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@bartstope, I've dispatched a replacement router to your address. Let me know how you get on once it's arrived.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team