cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Fibre when looking at pages

dougjbarnes1
Grafter

Slow Fibre when looking at pages

When I look at actual web pages of use iPlayer or similar the performance is very poor, I can only us SD on iplayer, (I keep getting the dreaded buffering icon (as show in SKY's  TV ads all the time) and when following links on web pages sometimes it takes 30+ seconds to display the new page

I use Networx to monitor the connections, although the BTW shows a nominal 34M download, when viewing TV I get short bursts of 2-3M followed by spells of little or nothing,   I've tries a broadband optimiser which tells me my PC is correctly configured for a 30M ethernet connection (using UTP PC-Router).

As the Plusnet replacement router has been replaced once I'm running a simple Ping Test on the PC , hitting the Router Gateway and an Internet address, but can't get a response from the WAN Address listed on the router, is that ICMP blocked?  

Is there any SNMP capability in your router or the BT one that I can use?

6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Slow Fibre when looking at pages

Hi our routers don't respond to ICMP which explains why you've seen that happen.

With regards to the slow speeds and browsing issues have you been connecting up over WiFi or ethernet? ^AW

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dougjbarnes1
Grafter

I connect via the ethernet port, PC has 10/100 port.

HAve run an optimiser for the ethernet port and states that the current settings are optimal.

There's no probs when running a "Speed" test, that comes up as 30-32M, it's just that when actually browsing the network or viewing TV on-demand that there's an issue,  I've tried a number of different DNS hosts, opendns, microsoft & google, they make no difference

candell
Grafter

My speed test often shows the speeds I should be getting but even basic html pages serve very slowly and any streaming on youtube either stops to a buffer or goes to what must only be 100p with how pixellated and blocky it is. At these times (often) a speedtest still shows full speed.

dougjbarnes1
Grafter

Which leaves the question open, why is there such a discrepancy. Surely the page refresh should be better using a fast Fibre connections, or is there some network chocking going on when the "web" side is being used, but a cheat (like VW) when the test is going on.

I recall when I worked in the BHS & we had 2 x 1GB internet connections that web pages came up blindingly fast so it is definitely something related to home broadband. Makes you wonder what you're paying for

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

have you checked your PC whats running ? or a malware hogging your connection

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/      Free option bottom of page Smiley

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
candell
Grafter

Sure, happens to all devices even those wired to the router.