cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Fibre speeds

eattheword
Grafter

Slow Fibre speeds

I upgraded from ADSL to fibre four weeks ago, but I am getting disappointing speeds. I ordered the 40 Mbps package, and the Member Centre info shows:
Telephone number:
XXXXXXXXX
Phone exchange:
XXXXXXXXX
Estimated line speed:
40Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-09-16 20:13:36
Current line speed:
40 Mb
On installation day, the Openreach technician who installed the new master socket faceplate confirmed that my line was sync'ing at 79 Mbps.
Since that day I have not managed to get download speeds greater than 25 Mbps which is quite a bit under the 40 or so I should be getting. Sometimes it drops to as low as 7.5 Mbps. Uploads are more consistent ranging from around 13 Mbps to 18 Mbps.
I have run a batch of tests today so that I can provide you will full information. My setup rig is as follows:
1. Plusnet-supplied modem plugged into master phone socket via the supplied DSL cable into the socket at the front of the BT socket.
2. Plusnet-supplied Technicolor router plugged into modem.
3. Computer plugged into router via ethernet cable and WiFi switched off on the router.
TESTING
------------
1. I visited the BT Wholesale Speedtest site and ran its initial tests which gave me my usual results of around 25 down/18 up speeds.
2 I then logged my router into the BT test site with the username speedtest@speedtest_domain and ran their level 3 diagnostics which gave the following results:

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
67.35 Mbps

0 Mbps
77.44 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 67.35 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 60 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
2.6 Mbps

0 Mbps
20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 2.6Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Your service was found to be performing poorly.
Please raise a fault with your service provider, stating that the BT Performance Tester tool indicates poor service throughput performance after the third test.

Note the significant difference in download speeds. Also, not sure why upload dropped to 2.6, but there you go.
3. I next ran a test at ThinkBroadband's speed tester and got the following results:

Any ideas why my line speeds are a) much slower than they should be and b) so variable?
I haven't logged a job yet because people seem to get faster answers here.
14 REPLIES 14
eattheword
Grafter

Re: Slow Fibre speeds

Speed test today still giving me 7.5/18, yes, that's 7.5 DOWN and 18 UP.  Embarrassed
Dhaos
Grafter

What exchange are you on? it might be congested, have you tried running speed tests at the early hours of the morning?
Probably will need to fill out this https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
eattheword
Grafter

My exchange was only recently enabled for fibre. The day I had it installed I was the only subscriber on the cabinet, and I've had a maximum speed of 25 ever since, so I doubt it can be congested yet. My house is about 50 yards from my cabinet, so it won't be a distance thing either.  I'll see how the PN guys respond on here tomorrow then I'll see about raising a fault.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi,
Thanks for doing the tests done so far. This will help us to identify the problem. You stated to raise a fault via the portal but never finished. Could you please complete this for me and I will have our faults team investigate further.
Thanks,
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
eattheword
Grafter

Thanks Tony
I'll finish logging the fault tonight when I get home. I did a bit more this morning but I didn't have time to run the dialup test.
eattheword
Grafter

Righto, so I'v just done the direct-to-modem test which gave me the following:

Still around 23, despite a line profile of 77.
Also, now I'm back on the router (direct into router via ethernet) my speed is back down to 7.5. See:

And just to double check I went back to a direct-to-modem connection and it;s still showing 7.5 or so, which means the 23 above was a fluke:

And just for kicks, I have just taken the face plate off the master socket and plugged the modem (via a microfilter) into the test socket inside. Computer connected direct to modem. Speed test gives 23:

And just to round it out, here's another BT Performance Tester Tool result:

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
38.65 Mbps

0 Mbps 77.44 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 38.65 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 60 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
3.12 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 3.12Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Your service was found to be performing poorly.
Please raise a fault with your service provider, stating that the BT Performance Tester tool indicates poor service throughput performance after the third test.

I iz teh puzzledz.  Huh a) why is it slow and b) why is it fluctuating between slow and ADSL slow?
I've completed the fault recording process at the Member Centre.
eattheword
Grafter

As requested by the support team I have created a broadband quality monitor over at ThinkBroadband which is now ticking away quite happily. I decided to run a speed test as well and got this lovely result:

This is the first time that the speeds have been what I expected to get. The only thing that's changed this end is that to run the quality monitor Plusnet have assigned me a temporary static IP address. Could that have made any difference? If so, can I keep it?  Wink
jtk
Dabbler

I thought it was interesting to see the graphs and also that Latency varied from 20ms to 73ms!
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

If so, can I keep it?

Yes, for a nominal charge of £5.00. Roll_eyes
eattheword
Grafter

Really? That would mean I could set up a VPN, wouldn't it?
eattheword
Grafter

Here's  my BQM results:
eattheword
Grafter

Thanks for all your help, Plusnet. My connection has now been rock solid steady at 37-38 Mbps for around a week now. Much appreciated.  Smiley
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I'm glad it was sorted for you.
Let us know if you have any other problems.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
eattheword
Grafter

Thanks, Tony, will do, though I think it's highly unlikely I will have any for a long while.