Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Fibre again

grmacbean
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Slow Fibre again

This is getting to be a bit annoying. Internet speeds are dropping to 20mb down and minimum is supposed to be 51mb.  I cannot phone them as I am deaf, no other means of contact available.  I use internet for meetings etc so this is debilitating, video is freezing due to bad speeds and so I cannot lipread.  I have a XEON core system with 16gb RAM, so no it is not a slow PC, it is also on LAN.  

This is not the first time I've reported this issue and the last "technician" they sent out was useless.  He did not know what he was doing and used speedtest.net for speed checks and not BT Wholesale systems....  totally messed up my router which I had to reconfigure.

I've been a customer for nearly 2 decades and contract is out next year.

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Slow Fibre again

@grmacbean No doubt one of the PN Help Team will be along soon, but if you would like help from the Community:

Information from these two sites:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection - please report the 'Additional Diagnostics', and sight of the Help Desk tab from your Hub would be a start.

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of you phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If phone test is OK then take the front off your telephone master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here and connect that to your hub. If it’s still dropping out then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

John
grmacbean
Hooked

I don't use a phone in the house. Just the broadband.  They checked the master socket last time around.  I've rebooted the main fibre box again and speeds have jumped, but it goes down again and ends up being hopeless after a period of time.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

OK - a phone is a very useful tool whilst we still use the copper wires to deliver broadband, but if you don't have one, so be it.

The rest of the information I requested above would still be useful, though.

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@grmacbean wrote:

... I've rebooted the main fibre box again and speeds have jumped, but it goes down again and ends up being hopeless after a period of time.

@grmacbean 

I'm not saying this is the cause in your particular case, but IME from a long time ago, having your MTU set to the wrong value can cause your speed to drop from what is initially good, to very slow, so might be something worth checking.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-optimize-the-mtu-setting-on-your-router-for-better-perfo...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @grmacbean

I'm really sorry to see you're having speed issues and you find it hard to contact us.

We offer a variety of methods to report a problem online, by messaging us on Twitter or Facebook, or you can text us through following the instructions Here as in a lot of cases, we'll automatically arrange an engineer with you there and then.

If you're hard of hearing, you can also use a next generation / text relay service to call us, and we'll make sure you don't pay for the call, just like if anybody else was to call our freephone number. There's more detail about that Here.

I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing any issues with your router getting a stable speed of around 67mbps.

I've attached below a copy of the test, plus a a graph showing your broadband connection:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 67.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 477.6
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact Errors Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From11:30to10:00
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 6
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 4dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2022-01-11T14:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 71.0 Mbps 71.8 Mbps 71.8 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps
Up Time 828.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2022-01-24T13:26:48Z 2022-01-24T13:41:48Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 1
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

image16430338238700

Is your computer plugged into your router using an ethernet cable directly with no powerline adapters or switches in place? If that's the case, while I recognise you've suggested you've got a good PC, do you have another device you can try? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
grmacbean
Hooked

Thanks Gandalf. I appreciate the assistance and line checks.  I'll make a note of the contacts as it is an occasional occurrence and once I rebooted the fibre box it gave me a clean line again.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks for getting back to us @grmacbean

Please feel free to reach out if you need any further support at all.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds