cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Fibre again i'm affraid. Have I been duped by Plusnet?

scarr27

Slow Fibre again i'm affraid. Have I been duped by Plusnet?

Hi,
Moved up to Fibre 14 days ago to the 38Mb + calls deal.
Was told by e-mail I should receive an estimated 31Mb download.
I have been checking over the last two weeks on the speed and it's around the 24Mb mark.
I have had an online chat with PlusNet and been told this....
"Ok current line speed is back at 26.6mb down and 3.6 upload.
Though checking the estimates for your area the estimates have
actually dropped, not sure why automation got the 31mb from
but the average speed in your area is 18mb down and 3.7 up.
So you're way above the area estimates."

Why was I told I would get a 31Mb estimated speed when I joined?
I feel cheated and am looking into cancelling the 14 day old deal.
If anyone else is looking to join PlusNet, bear in mind you are likely to get half the speed you signed up for.
9 REPLIES 9
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Slow Fibre again i'm affraid. Have I been duped by Plusnet?

Our suppliers can change estimates based on the performance of your line and other lines in your area.
Unfortunately your not far off the estimate so we can't raise this to our suppliers.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
tonycollinet
Grafter

Its' annoying - but you'd have been told the same from any supplier since the estimates come from BT (who run the network). You will also get the same speed from any supplier (as long as you are on fttc) because they are all using the same infrastructure.
The only real difference from one supplier to another is price and service. Plusnet is better than most here, but "better than most" is setting a very low bar.
scarr27

Hi Matthew,
Thanks for the reply.
I am getting between 23 &24Mb download but I would argue that that  is way off the estimate of 31Mb. But that is not my issue. Please see my reply to Tony below. cheers
Hi Tony,
Thanks for your reply.Yes, I agree that PlusNet are prob as good as any and agree due to the hardware the speed would be the same who ever the provider was, however, that's not the issue.
The issue is that I was quoted an estimated speed of 31Mb while PlusNet knew at the time the average for my area was 18Mb with the max achievable being 26Mb.
I'm sure you will agree this is dishonest at least.
this is my latest post to PlusNet......
The real issue is that PlusNet are claiming download speed figures (to attract new clients I presume) which they know are unachievable for a particular area. They are using the excuse that the figure is an 'Estimate' to justify this.
As in my case, Plusnet sent me an e-mail on the 25/06/15 claiming an estimated 31Mb download speed. Now that I have signed up, I am told that 18Mb is the average speed for my area and the max could only ever be 26Mb. The advertised speed of 'up to 38Mb' along with the 31Mb speed quoted to me, can clearly only be dreamed of. This clearly puts PlusNet in breach of contract and they seem to be taking the attitude that this is acceptable practice. I have had no reasonable explanation as to why PlusNet are quoting unachievable figures therefore; unfortunately, I feel the only course of action you leave me with is to peruse the matter with Offcom.
tonycollinet
Grafter

As far as dishonesty is concerned I like the phrase
Never ascribe to malice that which can better be explained by incompetence

IMO either the lower estimates were not in plusnets hands at the time the estimate was given to you - or the person who gave them to you was unaware of them.
supernova1
Grafter

31mbps would have been the estimated sync rate.
Is your 23 to 24mbps the measured download speed during a test or your modem sync rate?
For example, I was quoted 80mbps, I sync at 80mbps+ but I 'only' get 76mbps on a download test. -
ATB
SN.
scarr27

Hi,
With the greatest of respect I think my point is being missed.
I got quoted 31Mb/s before joining PlusNet.
When joined I'm told my line will never support more than 26Mb/s Max.
Who/why was I told 31Mb then???
To rope me in no doubt.
Point is. They lie to gain new customers.
Estragon
Rising Star

What does this checker say for the FTTC A and B lines please?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I'm sorry if you feel like we've lied to you however a estimate is a estimate.
We can't guarantee what speeds you'll get which is why we give estimates rather then guarantees.
I can see our suppliers have changed the estimates for your line and the estimated range is 18.1mbps to 26mbps which is in line with what your currently getting.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Matthew
I can see our suppliers have changed the estimates for your line and the estimated range is 18.1mbps to 26mbps which is in line with what your currently getting.

The reason it is in line with what they are currently getting is because the estimates are changed based on the actual speeds obtained. It's a flaw in the system in my opinion. Changing an estimate based on the actual speed obtained (even when there may be other issues going on that reduces speed), is a very advantageous position for PN and Openreach. It effectively allows them to say your line is performing within estimates. That pretty much will always be the case since the estimate is based upon the actual line speed achieved.
Whilst I understand that prior to any fibre connection on the line, the estimate is exactly that, to simply re-adjust it based on actual perfomance makes the whole speed estimate system a bit of a farce.