Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Fibre Speeds

vindaloojim
Grafter

Re: Slow Fibre Speeds

@Andrue
Quote from: Andrue
Well I wouldn't trust anything a BT engineer told me. They don't have the time to get into protracted conversations with the general public. They will tell Joe Public whatever they think Joe wants to hear so that they can get out and get onto the next job before their supervisor starts shouting at them.

I saw the engineers test results myself. It was showing 80/20.
Bottom line is my line was synced at 80/20 three weeks ago now all of a sudden it dropped to 64/20. Crosstalk being the cause or not being the cause does not make this acceptable.
It's just like quoting likely speeds on the M25 around Gatwick as:
Off-peak (Clean) : 60 to 80.
Peak (Impacted): 20 to 50
Nothing about that implies that motorists are going to be controlled and forced to drive slower. It's just a prediction based on experience.

Bad analogy.
At 64Mb/s your connection is either at the bottom of the prediction for perfect cabling or somewhere in the middle for slightly poor cabling. No-one is doing anything deliberate to slow you down.

Yeah... at the bottom. A few weeks ago I was synced at 80/20 now I've had a ~21% reduction in line speed from 76Mb/s to 60Mb/s.
I never said anyone was deliberately slowing my connection. However, I will say that ISPs need to stop overloading FTTC cabinets with more customers until BT can increase the capacity of their infrastructure.
There's absolutely no point getting angry.

I am not complacent with BT, and the ISPs that use BT's infrastructure, overloading the FTTC cabinets with more connections than they can handle causing peoples fibre speeds to drops whilst still charging the same amount..  
BT have already announced the next phase of local loop upgrades.

Could you elaborate on BT's plans to upgrade, please. Are you referring to vectoring?
But in simple terms: Calm down! You are not being victimised here. It's just an unfortunate and expected feature of VDSL.

There are many people that are being victimised by their ISPs. BT are knowingly overloading their infrastructure with more connections than their dated infrastructure can handle.
Quote from http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/vectoring-crosstalk-crisis
Perhaps the most worrying aspect of crosstalk currently is the fact that most ISPs do not alert customers to its presence and potential impact over time. For example, despite the fact that BT provides “impacted” line speed estimates through its Broadband Availability Checker, BT’s retail website provides its own speed estimates for customers considering signing up to its Infinity services, as shown in the example below. In this case, the “impacted” line speed estimates from the BT Availability Checker (falling lower than 70 Mbps on the downlink) are substantially lower than the estimated speed range for BT Infinity

But as long as BT and the other ISPs keep getting their direct debits whilst customers keep getting worse service over time, then all is good right...
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I didn't even get an Openreach person when mine was installed. Just a 3rd party contractor that just wanted to plugin & connect my Openreach modem to my Plusnet router & leave. I could have quite easily done that myself if both modem & router were sent to me. I had to push him to replace my ancient socket & filter with one of the new Openreach sockets trying to maximise my chances of good results & although he never said it was written all over his face he wasn't impressed. We never got to a speed test as I didn't fancy my chances pushing any harder.
stoswald
Grafter

@woodm - I was installed the same, by 3rd party engineer, who failed to give me a new cable (I had asked for one on the order).  He had never heard of Plusnet - which was worrying say the least, giving how often we see the big dog picture.... but I did get 72mb d/l for several months.  I've had little spats like this before that fix themselves after a week, but this time something is completely wrong as it will be a month come the end of the week!  My latency dropped a little on Saturday morning (4am) the line speed didn't improve. Hopefully now BTW diagnostics is working BT can clear our faults.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

The only information I got from the person that did mine was that PlusNet were behind the times still having 2 boxes for fibre. Anything else I asked him regarding speeds, DLM etc he just irritably replied 'what's that? I don't know what you're talking about mate' Didn't instil me with any confidence at all.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: vindaloojim
I never said anyone was deliberately slowing my connection. However, I will say that ISPs need to stop overloading FTTC cabinets with more customers until BT can increase the capacity of their infrastructure.

Cross talk isn't anything to do with capacity though.
If you're one of the first person on your cabinet to get FTTC and then your neighbour gets it, there is a possibility you could be affected by cross talk.
Andrue
Pro

Quote from: vindaloojim
I saw the engineers test results myself. It was showing 80/20.
I doubt it. It would be saying 79999/19999.  I think you just saw the name of the service not the sync speed.
Bottom line is my line was synced at 80/20 three weeks ago now all of a sudden it dropped to 64/20. Crosstalk being the cause or not being the cause does not make this acceptable.
Well hard luck. That's the laws of physics for you. Your only option is to move to a full fibre or coax based service.
Bad analogy.
No it's not. It's a very good analogy. The fact you don't understand that is your problem.
There is no overloading going on. This has nothing to do with capacity. The crosstalk does not occur inside the cabinet it occurs inside the cable bundles. There could be only two people using FTTC on your cabinet and if your wires happen to be adjacent within the bundle you'll get crosstalk. Alternatively your cabinet could be 100% utilised and it just so happens that your wire is the only one in your bundle that is carrying FTTC signals so you suffer no effects. It's pot luck.
Could you elaborate on BT's plans to upgrade, please. Are you referring to vectoring?
No. Vectoring is part of their cross-talk mitigation strategy the upgrade plans I was referrring to are G-Fast.
http://home.bt.com/news/bt-life/bt-ceo-sets-out-ultrafast-broadband-vision-11363958493131
Basically it's like FTTC only the point at which fibre is terminated onto copper will be closer to houses. In effect it's bringing the fibre a step closer to our front doors.
But as long as BT and the other ISPs keep getting their direct debits whilst customers keep getting worse service over time, then all is good right...
The average speed of internet in the UK has been rising steadily for the past 20 years. Who are these people who are worse off? Are you saying that (for instance) two years ago you had a faster speed? I know I didn't. In the 14 years I've lived in my house I've seen my speeds rise from 9600b/s to 64Mb/s.
Based on the G-Fast roll-out it seems like I'll be on 500Mb/s within the decade as will you. What's to complain about? Other than the laws of physics which apparently you think BT should be immune to.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

@Matthew - I tried the test again tonight at around 2105 but managed to lock myself out of the TAP3 test because of timing but this is what I'm currently seeing connected to PlusNet's network. I'll try and have another got at the TAP3 later on.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

@Matthew - Here's a TAP3 for you. On step 1 on PlusNet's network the ds was only about 18 and then I disconnected and connected to speedtest domain and got this. My speeds fluctuate wildly during late evening. I'll stay out of the speed test site so you guys can take a look but if you look at my other tests posted on the forum and on my ticket hopefully you will see they're all over the place.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Things seem better my end or did I speak too soon? 2230 at the moment and getting full 75/15 allowance. I wonder if it's down to all the gateway re-configs going on? Although the step3 BTW test at the time indicated a problem between me and my cab/exchange so was there a problem there that they fixed? Will keep monitoring anyhow.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

ds plummeted again last night and back to normal this morning. Very odd. TAP3 reported poor service again on speedtest domain at the time so wonder if it's the BT leg of my service that's the problem. Updated my ticket with the info anyhow.