Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Fibre Speeds

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Slow Fibre Speeds

Quote from: vindaloojim
If I respond to my ticket to ask it will just reset the ticket by 72 hours.
No it won't - see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,136533.0.html
vindaloojim
Grafter

That's a very welcome improvement over the old system. Thanks for pointing that out.
Does it still apply if my latest update says:
This Question is now on hold until...
vindaloojim
Grafter

Summary
Raised via WLR3 - Fail - Fault located at exchange (BT Wholesale side of MDF) FAULT - Dis in Exchange
- TR0000004325897
- 13/02/15 17:00:00

Can someone translate this please?  Wink
Does this mean the DSLAM needs to be replaced at the exchange?
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

MDF = Main Distribution Frame - here's Wikipedia's take on the subject, although the article appears to be largely American (and copied on various other sites) but it does give a generally accurate overview of the thing.
The most common fault on one of these is with the jumper cables being damaged or disconnected.
vindaloojim
Grafter

Thanks for the link. All new and interesting for me (temporarily forgetting the frustration and inconvenience this has caused me).
What usually causes damage to the jumpering onto the DSLAM in the exchange? Is it a case of ageing, poor maintenance ec? How often does this happen?
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I can't really say, but causes tend to range from human error to physical damage to wear and tear.
vindaloojim
Grafter

Hopefully by 17:00 tomorrow, all will be fixed and back to normal.
deathtrap
Grafter

If it's a FTTC  service then the Dslam is not at the exchange but in the street cabinet
vindaloojim
Grafter

That might explain why my line speed plummeted even further than it had already after the engineer left my property and went to investigate the cabinet.
His words "There is nothing I could have possibly done whilst at the cabinet to cause such drastic drop in speed".
vindaloojim
Grafter

Ok, so it's three hours after the ETA of being fixed and has yet to be resolved.  Angry
They have advised the estimated time for resolution is 13/02/15 17:00:00
Please note this is only a estimate and the fault could be resolved before this date, however we will continue to monitor for updates from them and if we are able to provide an update sooner than this we will do so

Yes it states estimated but It only mentions the possibility of the fault being resolved before 13/02/15 17:00:00 but not after this time and date.
My internet has not been disconnected today as far as I know not unless it was only for a couple of minutes so I am assuming no engineer visited place of fault.
vindaloojim
Grafter

Latest update following live chat conversation:
The PlusNET agent, David S, stated that BT had reported it was fixed this morning. When I questioned how can this be when there has been no improved at all.  I am still getting the same line speed 50/17 on an 80/20 sync line.
He replied
David S: We are talking about the issue on the phone, not the broadband. Is your phone line working?
 Shocked
I tested my phone. The phone is working as exactly as it was, working but with static. So whatever BT Openreach did this morning did not fix the phone line, never mind the FTTC.  Angry
David S: I will ask BT to look at the speed, but if the phone still appears as a problem we cannot continue with the broadband issue. I will raise that back to BT now.

This is beyond a joke now. PlusNET are taking the mick. It does not look like PlusNET will be getting it's contract renewed in June if this is not resolved soon.
After finally getting a time resolution of 13/02/15 17:00:00 for my fault to be fixed (after one month of waiting!) I was looking forward to being glad that I am once again getting the service that I am paying for and not needing to use paid holiday to take time off of work for engineers; no more calling plusnet and no more live chats.
Alas, this is not the case. Even the phone line, which BT OpenReach reported as being fixed this morning, still has static.
David S: You will get a refund for the service you have paid for and not received. The amount of the refund depends on how long this goes on for from the day you report it until the day it is fixed. So, when it is fixed - we will work out how much we owe you and refund it

The longer this goes on for the more PlusNET owe me for not providing the service that I am paying for.
I have saved a transcript of the chat. Just in case.
AndyH
Grafter

Unfortunately, the process does mean that they need to sort out the phone line side first and then get the fibre reset.
vindaloojim
Grafter

I see. Well, hopefully this will get solved as soon as possible.
vindaloojim
Grafter

This is completely unacceptable PlusNET! I have been more than patient with PlusNET/ BT to fix my line speed.
Latest PN fault ticket update:
Kelly Hill - BOT - DSL Logged Faults
7:32pm, Tuesday 17 Feb 2015
Thank you for your continued patience.
I have checked with Openreah and they have advised that they have cleared a fault on your line and they believe this has now resolved the issue you reported to us.
I have also tested your speed and can see this is syncing above estimate.

The fault has not been resolved at what-so-ever PlusNET. Not even improved slightly.
I am still getting 50Mb/s down / 17Mb/s up on a 80/20 sync line  Angry
Five weeks and one day this has been going on for. This is completely unacceptable. The longer that this issue goes on for, the more money PlusNET will have to reimburse me.
This is NOT the service which I am paying for. I am getting speeds which are closer to a 40/20 sync line than on a 80/20 sync line.
I can only assume that when she says:
I have also tested your speed and can see this is syncing above estimate.
that she means that my 80/20 sync line is faster than the estimated 76Mb/s PN 80/20 Fibre line speed. Thus my sync speed is syncing above the estimated line speed.  Shocked
Of course my sync speed is higher than my line speed everybody's sync speed is higher than their line speed:

• Sync speed=                                                             80/20
  • Current line speed since January 2015=                       50/17

• Line speed from January 2014 to January 2015 =   76/19

This has to be rectified PlusNET. This has going far too long now. It has gone far beyond unacceptable.
Most people who are on the 76Mb/s FTTC package will be on a 80/20 sync line, but what good is being on an 80/20 sync line if I am getting 50Mb/s download 26Mb/s less than the estimated line speed?
Between-first signing up- in January 2014 and January 2015 I was getting a stable 76Mb/s down and 19Mb/s up.  Now I am getting 26Mb/s less download and 2Mb/s less upload speed.
My sync rate was 80/20 when the first BT engineer tested the line at my property but my line speed was still 60Mb/s download then it got even worse when he inspected the PTP green cabinet. When he connected the line again after doing whatever he did at the cabinet my line speed dropped even further to 50Mb/s down speed where it has remained since with no fluctuations at all. The DLM has not increased or decreased the line speed at all. It has remained a rock steady 50Mb/s.

Why has this not been resolved PlusNET? My line was perfectly capable of carrying speeds of 76Mb down and 19Mb up as it did so for the first twelve months of joining with no fluctuations. That was, until my line speed nose dived to 50Mb/s and has stayed there for five weeks and one day after two BT engineer visits, a new modem and new spool of cabling between my property and the pole.

BT also reported my phone line being resolved. This is NOT the case. I am still getting static on my phone line.        

What is going on PlusNET? What are you going to do to get my line speed back to where it was before at 76Mb/s download and 19Mb/s upload?

vindaloojim
Grafter

I have uploaded further speed test results via speedtest.btwholesale.com