cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Fibre Speeds

bazil

Slow Fibre Speeds

I've just moved from another provider to Plusnet. My connection keeps dropping and only getting 28 Mbps download speeds compared with 38-40 Mbps i was getting with the last provider. Also the line keeps dropping every few hours.

When logging in to Myaccount on the Plusnet website, it says that I should be getting between 37-40 Mbps

Has anyone else noticed slower speeds after moving to Plusnet? or getting line drops?

Have I made a mistake moving providers and signing up to Plusnet for the next 18 months????

13 REPLIES 13
Twoterriers
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Slow Fibre Speeds

Me too. I was with John Lewis (supplied by Plusnet) and my download was around 19. Now I've moved to Plusnet direct and it's dropped to 11!! Not happy.
Lynda~
"Children are for people who can't have dogs"
cee2
Hooked

my speed was around 5-6 meg slower after my move from bt  fibre, 14 days ago ,

speed came up a bit , to near what I was on with bt a few days ago,

I use a netgear router, logs tell me one reset in all , so far,

what router you peeps using ?

Twoterriers
Grafter

I am using the one Plusnet sent me, the massive white one.
I had an email from them today saying my prospective speeds were 13.5-19.6 and my actual speed is 11.1. Well, I knew that !! However, ni apology or no explanation as to why I got that speed under the John Lewis umbrella but not under theirs !!
Lynda~
cee2
Hooked

Hi Lynda

short ish story, when I was  using bt`s  home hub 5 , speed kept dropping, looking in the hub stats

showed lots of disconnects / reconnects over a few days , I loose web , hub connects to some bt  computer system ,

disconnect , reconnect me to web,

me thinks ,

the system in my exchange will think that there`s a connection prob and will slow the speed ,

to correct it ( DLM ) will kick in

google came in handy, got my own router & speed went back up over time, happy days,

plusnet router from what I`ve read on the web is pretty much a hh5,

suggest check your log stats, and google what you find,,

Twoterriers
Grafter

Thanks for this. How do you check your hub stats, please ? I have had dropouts but expected that as I'm a new subscriber (8th March).
What does hh5 mean, too ?
You think perhaps I'd be better off using the John Lewis router where I had double the speed pretty much ?
If you use a different router I assume you use the password ON the router itself ? I've always used the ones I'm sent as a rule .
Thanks, apologies for my ignorance !!
Lynda~
cee2
Hooked

I joined 6 march ,

hh5 = bt home hub 5

I`m no expert , wish I was !!  but I get by sort off,

re hub stats ,search this  site for info, I stopped using bt router a few years ago, forget how to get the stats,

router set up specs, use what plusnet sent you, that's what I did , on my own router,

cee2
Hooked

try to avoid disconnecting your router to many times or the system will think you will have a connection prob & will slow the speed ,

Twoterriers
Grafter

Cheers for all the answers. I leave my router on all the time. I might dig out the John Lewis one again. It makes no sense whatsoever that on the same line with essentially the same ISP that the speed halves !!
Lynda~
cee2
Hooked

no prob, hope it all works out for you, best of British or do I say best of Yorkshire  !!! good night...............

CJ18
Grafter

Once DLM kicks in won't it leave your sync speed where it is (i.e. lower)?  Therefore changing your router won't actually make any difference as DLM won't take into account how much 'better' it is and re-assess the speed upwards?

Twoterriers
Grafter

Thanks for the reply but I'm not au fait with all these acronyms, I have to say. What does DLM mean, please ? I don't really understand your reply aside from the fact changing my router back won't help !!

I just don't get it. Same line, same supplier, half the speed. How CAN that happen ?Huh

Lynda~

CJ18
Grafter

@Twoterriers

DLM stands for Dynamic Line Management.  It is a technology used for fibre connections from BT exchanges, to cabinets and ultimately to your house to keep the line stable by limiting speed if necessary.  My understanding is that if it restricts your speed because DLM believes your connection isn't stable, it won't attempt to increase the speed again without an OpenReach engineer carrying out a reset at the exchange/cabinet.  And that can be difficult to make happen.

I'm no expert and would love to be wrong, hopefully someone can clarify.

Your original point is perfectly valid, your speed should be consistent no matter who the ISP is but in my experience it doesn't work out like that!

Twoterriers
Grafter

Thankyou for the explanation, CJ. Let's hope that if you are correct then Plusnet can resolve it since I don't think it's good enough.

Lynda~#