Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Fibre Speeds

vindaloojim
Grafter

Slow Fibre Speeds

Ticket #97651261
I have been receiving slow download/ upload speeds for the past month now.
I first raised the fault issue with PlusNET on the 13/01/14 since that date have been in contact with PlusNET on a dozen different occasions now.  
Line speed at the moment is 50Mb/s DL & 17Mb/s UL, however at it's worst it has plummeted as low as 9Mb/s DL & 2Mb/s UL.
Before I began getting speed issues I used to get a rock steady 76Mb/s DL & 19Mb/s UL since I joined PlusNET 12 months ago.  
BT OpenReach engineer has confirmed on two different visits that my sync speed is 80/20.
No equipment or settings have been changed. I am using the standard issue BT OpenReach Modem & PlusNET Technicolor TG582n router and my computer is hardwired to the router via CAT6 RJ45 Ethernet cable. Modem is connected via a short piece of CAT6 RJ11 cable.
The BT OpenReach engineer visited my property on 29/01/15 and tested the line for faults. He could not find anything wrong with the equipment, master socket or wiring on my property though he agreed my line speed was very slow as my sync speed was showing as 80/20.
He did, what he called a line reset (I don't know if this was a DLM profile reset or not) which slightly lowered the latency to 15ms temporarily but the up and download speed remained the same (around 50/17).
He then said he would investigate the cabinet and after he had been to the cabinet my line speed plummeted by 70% to 20Mb download and the latency shot up to 60ms.
After investigating the cabinet, the engineer rang to check if there had been any change. I informed him that the line speed had plummeted even more since his visit to the cabinet and he said he suspected it was a fault with a span of cable from the telegraph pole to my house, however he said at the time it was too dark and icy to investigate so he would have to re-visit.
The same engineer came back on 02/04/15 to investigate the span of wire on the street and he said the cable was not ideal, it had sustained some wear from weathering so he changed the cable from the telegraph pole to my house but my line speed is still the same. It can wildly fluctuate anywhere from 9/2 to 55/17 on a sync speed of 80/20.
Can someone from PlusNET please advise me on this ongoing issue as this is becoming very frustrating after three weeks since reporting the fault, two OpenReach engineer visits and countless conversations with PlusNET agents and faults team later the fault issue is still ongoing.  
Kind Regards,
James
84 REPLIES 84
vindaloojim
Grafter

Re: Slow Fibre Speeds

Engineer notes which were copy and pasted on my fault ticket:
Engineer Notes
fault history shows an engr attended today and changed the span--dlm was reset ogea test currently fails-breaching error threshold will sleep ai so cct can be chacked again tomorrow to see if dlm stabalizes the cct

Could someone please let me know what these notes mean.
Kind Regards,
James
vindaloojim
Grafter

Duplicate post. Please ignore.
AndyH
Grafter

The line is failing the engineer's testing after he reset it, but he doesn't know why. He's going to check it again to see if there are still too many errors on it.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The engineer has also replaced part of the cable and reset the DLM, so at the moment we need to monitor the line and see how it's performing and check if the errors have stopped/reduced.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
vindaloojim
Grafter

How long does monitoring usually take and what is the procedure if the line errors haven't stopped or reduced?
Kind Regards,
James
dick:quote
vindaloojim
Grafter

Hi Chris.
My question was placed on hold until this morning, Friday 6th February at 7:00am.
Would you please be able to chase up the team that is dealing with my ticket to see what the update is and if progress has now been made?
My BT speed tests this morning are still showing the same kind of results: 48Mb up / 15Mb down / 42ms ping
Kind Regards,
James
Chris
Legend

My BT speed tests this morning are still showing the same kind of results: 48Mb up / 15Mb down / 42ms ping

Are the speeds still fluctuating, as the results (assuming the down/up are posted the wrong way round) are what I'd expect to see.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
vindaloojim
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Are the speeds still fluctuating, as the results (assuming the down/up are posted the wrong way round) are what I'd expect to see.

Unfortunately, you did not answer my query:
Would you please be able to chase up the team that is dealing with my ticket to see what the update is and if progress has now been made?

Yes they're indeed posted the wrong way round. What I should have posted is 48Mb down / 15Mb up / 42ms ping.
Speeds are fluctuating between 20 - 50Mb down and 14 - 17Mb up.
May I ask why the results, on a line with a 80/20 sync speed, which has confirmed faults, are what you expect to see?
For twelve months since signing with PlusNET I was getting stable 76Mb down and 19 Mb up- very close to my sync speed- with little to no fluctuations. This is what I expect to see. Not 48Mb / 15Mb on a line which has confirmed faults.
There is no reason why I should be complacent with a large 38% decrease in download speed when my line has the ability to, and did for twelve months, deliver very close to my sync rate. For the first twelve months of my contract the line was delivering 76 down / 19 up with insignificant or no fluctuations.    
Chris
Legend

Ah sorry, I misread the account type and had thought you were on the 40/20 product, not the 80/20 one.
I'll certainly give the faults guys a nudge, sorry for my error Sad
vindaloojim
Grafter

Thank you, Chris. That would be greatly appreciated.  Smiley
Look forward to hearing from you.
Kind Regards,
James
jim:quote
nedster
Dabbler

I've had much the same problems of late.
My speeds have dropped from a stable 38Mbps to around 8Mbps.,sometimes as low as 2 (which is worse than my old ADSL). This only seems to occur sometime between 17:00 and 06:30, speedsare fine during the  day (although we are not here all day everyday)
I have had 2 engineers visit my house. The first replaced cable, but after his visit things were no better. The second engineer was as much good as a chocolate fireguard and showed no interest in the problems at all  stating "its your wireless"!!!!
I have replaced the BT modem and the technicolor router with a brand new BT home hub 5 and this has still not sorted anything (My suspicion being that the BT modem may have been faulty).
Plusnet have stated that this does help them though as it demonstrates no equipment faults.
I have a Boost Engineer booked in for Monday, but to be honest I am not holding my breath that matters will be fixed.It would seem that its my throughput that is the problem,with problems regarding over utilization being mooted.
I  am at the end of my tether as  this  has been going  on for weeks and is still not resolved.
Surely both Plusnet and Openreach are obligated to fix a fault within a set time frame?
vindaloojim
Grafter

I know how infuriating it is nedster.  Angry
I've also had my Openreach Modem replaced. The Openreach engineer plugged in a new Modem so that he could see if that made any improvements...It didn't. 
Yes you would think (and expect) both Plusnet and Openreach to be obligated to fix a fault within a set time frame. I first raised the fault on the 13/01/15. If they do have a time frame then it's an extremely large time frame.
My fault ticket was placed on hold until Friday morning 6th February at 7:00am whilst 'monitoring' was taking place. I have spoken to a PlusNET agent on live chat this weekend to ask if PlusNET's fault team work over the weekend which I was told they do, and as always, it takes 72 hours to get a reply from PlusNET's faults team.
So far, after 57 hours, I've not heard from them. Hopefully I should hear from them in the next 15 hours, but seeing as that would be over a Sunday night, I highly doubt that I will.
If PlusNET can't get my line speed close to my sync speed soon then I will be leaving in June when my 18 month contract ends.
Virgin can offer me the same sync line speed (80/20) for less money than PlusNET is charging me at the moment.
If this issue never arrived, or was fixed before my annual line rental was due then I would have stayed with PlusNET renewing my line rental with them for another 12 months.
I started getting poor line speeds before my annual phone line rental was due, I payed for the year in full for the first 12 months of my 18 contract. I didn't renew my phone line rental for another 12 months this year and instead began paying it monthly so that I can leave in June if necessary and not need to wait til January 2016.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@nedster
There's not much more I can add until the engineers been out I'm afraid
@vindaloojim
Our faults team should get to your issue today 
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
vindaloojim
Grafter

I hope so. It's been over the 72 hour waiting time now.
I am beginning to lose patience and faith in this ever being resolved. I'll have to start thinking about moving ISP soon unless this gets resolved quickly.
A 26Mb drop in download speed. Still after over one month and two engineer visits.
I wonder if my bill from Plusnet will drop too.  Roll_eyes