Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Fibre Speeds Again

FIXED
yamplus
Dabbler

Slow Fibre Speeds Again

Howdy,

My old router is sadly no more. I was experiencing frequent disconnects and horrifically slow speeds (between 1-8 Mbps). This has now been replaced with a new ASUS DSL modem router.

The connection is much more stable, but I'm still getting speeds slower than my usual ~70 Mbps. Is there anything that can be done at the ISP end to improve things? Have attached DSL log and Speedtest result.

Thanks! Smiley

13 REPLIES 13
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Slow Fibre Speeds Again

Hi @yamplus,

Thank you for letting us know that you now have a new router. It's good to hear that this has improved your connection somewhat, though I'm sorry that it's not back to where it should be.

I've tested your line and the test has picked up a fault but has been unable to determine whether this lies internal or external to your property. As this is the case, we'll need to do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here. If these checks don't resolve the problem, the next step would be to connect your router directly to the test socket, which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the connection stabilises. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. Please see the following guide for instructions on how to connect to the test socket. https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Please let us know how it goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
yamplus
Dabbler

Hi @EmilyD - thanks for your reply.

I followed all the steps in the video, and unfortunately they haven't resolved the issue. I've left the new router connected to the test socket on the mastersocket.

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @yamplus,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm sorry to see the issue is still ongoing. I've now raised a fault with our suppliers, details can be found here.

If you require any further assistance, please let us know.

Thanks - LF

yamplus
Dabbler

Hi @LordFoul ,

Thanks for this - I've responded to the question that has been raised on my account. Let's see what happens!

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @yamplus,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I've updated the ticket with my response.

Thanks - LF

yamplus
Dabbler

Hi @LordFoul 

I've checked over the ticket and everything is in line with the information I've been given so far. Where we are as of today is:

• Master socket replaced with new 5C twin port model with in-built filter
  • 'Box on the wall' outside looks to be in poor condition, but Openreach advise a cherry-picker will be needed to service this
  • Router reports sync speeds as 72251 kbps down, 14999 kbps up
  • Speed test results are much the same, 48 Mbps down, 13 Mbps up

The chap on the phone from Plusnet support advised that we're waiting for further updates from Openreach, which makes sense Smiley

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @yamplus, I've just looked into this for you and checked an update from our suppliers. I've added further information via the open ticket on your account.

Let us know here if you're still having issues and we'll progress the investigation for you.

yamplus
Dabbler

Thanks @Optimatts

The line is stable, but we're still having speed issues. I have added the details to the open ticket.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @yamplus

We'll get this picked up for you shortly

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
yamplus
Dabbler

Hi,

Uplink speed now given on the router as 20 mbps, downlink as 79.9 Mbps. However, whilst upload speeds are now 18-19 mbps we are now seeing download speeds of approx 40 mbps
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Fix

Thanks for getting back to us @yamplus.

I've had a look into the account and can see that the speed profile our side was seemingly stuck at 43400kbps. I'm sorry that it wasn't noticed prior to my checking.

I've had this amended for you now to 78000 (maximum) and you should notice the speeds increase over the next few hours.

Please let us all know how you get on.

yamplus
Dabbler

Hi @OskarPapa,

Download speeds are now consistently at around 66Mbps, with upload speeds at around 19Mbps. Seeing as that's within your advertised minimum, I think we can call that resolved!

Thank you to you and the team for resolving this for me Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @yamplus cheers for getting back to us,

We're glad to see that you're back up to speed now Thumbs_Up

If there's anything else you'd need help with, feel free to let us know.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet