cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Fibre Speed

rntgroup

Slow Fibre Speed

I get 8-9Mbps and 1-2Mbps upload and that generally never changes, not much in 18 months. 2 days I go I took an upgrade offer up which said I'd get guaranteed 15mbps but even after it says the service is live I dont get anymore than my standard. BT diagnostics say my line can only take 9mbps so I am confused.

Phone exchange:MOSSLEY

Estimated line speed:25Mb (This may vary between 18Mb and 25.7Mb) - Checked on 2017-06-29 00:11:31

Current line speed:80 Mb

4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Slow Fibre Speed

@rntgroup,

A warm welcome to the forums.

There are a couple of common reasons why this can happen...

• PlusNet have not received or not updated your line's profile - see the link below - and you are therefore still restricted to your old ADSL speeds
  • You are testing over wIfi and for some reason it is the wifi which is constraining the speed test

Please ensure that speed tests are run over a wired connection.

Run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

I'll ask the mods to move this to the fibre board - there might be more advice to be had there.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

I  am sorry to hear you're having speed issues.

@Townman wrote:
  • PlusNet have not received or not updated your line's profile - see the link below - and you are therefore still restricted to your old ADSL speeds

Nope, the current line speed on the account is 80mbps...

@rntgroup wrote:
Estimated line speed:25Mb (This may vary between 18Mb and 25.7Mb) - Checked on 2017-06-29 00:11:31

Your router is in sync at...

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 16.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps

...which is below your estimated speed range...

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 25.7 18 6.5 4.3

Whilst I'd recommend running through the checks here and reporting a fault to us here if you see no change, my tests aren't identifying any other issues as to why you're not seeing the speeds your router is currently in sync at.

Townman wrote:
  • You are testing over wIfi and for some reason it is the wifi which is constraining the speed test

Please ensure that speed tests are run over a wired connection.

Possibly? Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rntgroup

Phone exchange:MOSSLEY

Speedcheck reports 14mbps DL (been that all day), UL is struggling at 1.48mbps which disappoints me, i was expecting 4mbps min as need a good UL for YouTube videos and posting my media on marketplaces.

Used CAT5 and wireless, results are same'ish, nothing major in loss. In mastersocket. New filters.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

As the sync speed is below the estimates I'd recommend reporting the fault to us at http://faults.plus.net
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet