Hooked
Fixes: 1

Slow Fibre Speed

Postcode:
Estimated line speed:
39Mb (This may vary between 29.1Mb and 39.5Mb) - Checked on 2017-04-22 13:28:07
Current line speed:
9.5 Mb

It is the tenth day since my fibre went active, the speed has varied between 2mbs and 18mbs, the latter very, very briefly.

I cannot see how on the 11th day the speed will increase to the expected\estimated?

Am I just jumping the gun or is it too much to expect the service I am paying for and was promised?

Ps I don't understand why the broadband happens so long after the phone line goes active!

12 REPLIES 12
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Slow Fibre Speed

Your FTTC should find its  best speed within the first 48 hours !  not within 10 days , set By the DLM

firstly someone will ask the question are you testing Via wifi ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
stuartdc1966
Hooked

yep via wifi! how else do people use computers these days!

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

WIFI will not give a decent speed test, too many variables Sad  can you try wired ? 

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The line stats from the Hub One help desk would probably be more useful than a speedtest result.

If the Plusnet Current Line Speed accurately reflects the connection speed, then clearly it's far below the estimate and any speedtest result will be similarly low.

stuartdc1966
Hooked

The speedtest is per Mybroadbandspeedtest as sponsored by PlusNet.

Estimates are as per Plusnet

Just been disconnected by PlusNet from their online chat bot, probably for waiting too long to actually chat with someone.

So far scoring - very low on customer support and service provision

regarding wiring in an Ethernet cable, as I have no intention of using my machine sin that manner, a pointless exercise.

PlusNet estimated the speed to a minimum, currently coming in at circa 30% of the low end target.

agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

The suggestion of using an ethernet cable is not to force you to connect in that manner. It is purely for diagnostic purposes to eliminate the possibility of a WiFi problem. In chat with Plusnet they will ask you to connect in that manner.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@stuartdc1966  despite you not wishing to conect wired , it is the only way you could eliminate WIFI as the problem itself .

WIFI , as its controlled by your router and the PC in your house is out of control of Plusnet .

if you have connection problems the only way to test is wired Wink

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

WiFi is not going to affect the Plusnet Current Line Speed nor the stats from the modem!

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@ejs says, the line stats from the Hub One  would confirm if the modem is connecting at an acceptable rate if so then the problem is with the Wi-Fi. If the modem rate is below expectation then it's up to PlusNet to investigate.

If the drop in rate is a Wi-Fi problem there's a lot of good advise given on this forum.

@stuartdc1966 you don't say where you are when you do the speed test. Are you next to the modem, in the attic or the pub down the road ? 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear your speeds aren't close to your estimates.

Our tests are showing a external fault so we've raised that for you and we'll update you as soon as we know more.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
stuartdc1966
Hooked

Fix

Engineer has been out and fixed the problem, a line issue, No running at 33Mbs.

Hip hip hooray

Don't really want to ask, but feel I have to the one question why wasn't the line tested at connection, as this could have been fixed then, Solved now, feel sorry for the engineer, wettest day of the year, sterling job done.

TonyMC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 3

Hi Stuart, when a new broadband connection is made it can take a few days for the signal to stabalise so were unable to check it as soon as it activates, we always provide help and support, guides and troubleshooting advice and usually that can take care of it, on rare occasions when that doesn't resolve it then we arrange an engineer, I'm happy that it is all sorted for you know and if we can be of any further help then just let us know.