cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Fibre Speed And Constantly Dropping Connection

TomBriggs9
Dabbler

Slow Fibre Speed And Constantly Dropping Connection

Hi all I was speaking to a worker yesterday on live chat who was quite helpful but not very clear, over the last week or so I have been having quite alot of connection drops and yesterday not able to use the internet at all because it was dropping out roughly every 5 minutes, she raised a ticket saying BT will contact me in 72hours but nothing more. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get a stable connection back? I have attached pictures before and yesterday to the post.
13 REPLIES 13
vampyredrake

Re: Slow Fibre Speed And Constantly Dropping Connection

i have noticed this as well. i have changed the ADSL filter in case that was an issue. also speedtest.net isnt one plusnet seems to use. try speedtest.btwholesale.com as this is what i have been given via a tech support adviser and can run a full diagnostic and send straight to plusnet if they log in to see your speeds.

mine should be of an upload between 6.2 and 9.3 but only getting 4.5mbps

download varies from 30 - 55mbps depending what time of day as busy periods can be a cause. also depending on how many devices are running at time of a speedtest can alter it. i have to use an ethernet for my laptop to give accurate readings.

If your hub is near a window or in a small room with thin walls you will lose quite alot of wifi signal as well.

within Hub settings you can alter the auto - a channel of your choice as to what isnt used frequently i use 11 as the busy periods seem to use 1-10 even if the setting is on auto.

hope this helps

TomBriggs9
Dabbler

I also tried changing the filter with no difference made, Since uploading the original post connection has been lost 4 times with the router flashing orange for about 1 minute then coming back on as usual, I ran the test and it told me that the max connection speed on my line was currently 30mb and I was getting 29mb which is odd as previously it has been in the high 60's to low 70's and my line was 72mb so i'm not sure what is going on at the moment, I guess I just have to be patient and wait for BT to contact me?!

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

How is your phone line? You won't get decent broadband over a dodgy line - dial 17070 option 2 = is it quiet?

If not you need to raise a phone fault to get the right kind of engineer out.

TomBriggs9
Dabbler

Just tried the quiet line test and it was dead silent, the router did disconnect as I dialed in the number the first time not sure if it was just timing and it was going to drop anyway or it was the cause of the drop. It's getting very annoying now though can't stay connected for more than an hour. Theres only 4 devices connected to the router and it drops out even when none are connected.
Mustrum
Community Veteran

You should get a response to your ticket in the member centre, asking for a Radius connection report over the last 30 days should show how often you are dropping connection - hopefully one the PN staff see your post and can add some more information.

TomBriggs9
Dabbler

Yes I hope so when the site comes back up as thats down for maintenance too.. It's an odd one as its been superb since November this is the first issue I've had with PN
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your connection.

I'll get your open fault updated for you shortly.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
vampyredrake

I am waiting on getting a new faceplate and install that to see if it makes any difference for me. I've done most things with tech support but PN doesn't support SDSL as I'd need a bit more upload. Still very erratic on mine but managed to get online last night so fingers crossed
TomBriggs9
Dabbler

Mine has been still almost at a standstill this morning I was getting a download speed of 4.2mbps and upload 1.3mbps and usually I'm at 60+ mbps download and 18mbps upload Sad
TomBriggs9
Dabbler

And to make matters even stranger I ran the BTW Speed Test again and I've attached the result... So confused about this.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

The BTW test has been giving strange results for a while, try it with a different browser.

TomBriggs9
Dabbler

The line is different to before, I'm due a visit in the next 25mins so will update then, I just ran the BTW Test on Microsoft Edge and attached the results. I'm connected in VDSL but seem to have the speeds of ADSL?

TomBriggs9
Dabbler

Well the update is that the engineer didn't even show up, so lost a days work sitting at home waiting for them and still having continuous drop outs with slow speeds when it does work